Author Topic: John Mills death 1859 Richmond  (Read 1756 times)

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
John Mills death 1859 Richmond
« on: Friday 22 January 16 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
Hoping someone can look up a death record for me for John Mills in Richmond in 1859 1407/1859 V18591407 157. I am hoping for any reference to his parents or siblings to confirm who he is. Some public trees on Ancestry have him as the convict John Mills born 1793 in London, transported for life on the Indefatigable. It is his parentage I am trying to confirm. Any assistance or advice is greatly appreciated.
Jo  :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
Re: John Mills death 1859 Richmond
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 January 16 11:31 GMT (UK) »
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/28630538
MILLS.—February 4th, at his residence. North Richmond, Mr. John Mills, schoolmaster, aged sixty-four years.

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 January 16 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Cupoflife, it is reference to parents or siblings that I am looking for 😊
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 January 16 15:15 GMT (UK) »
There are no parents listed on the death index and to see if the informant knew anything else about him such as spouse, children, place of birth or time in the colony, you would have to purchase a transcription.  There would be no reference to siblings unless they were the informant.

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history/family-history.aspx#transcription

There is a note on a family tree which says that his occupation was given as 'Schoolmaster' when his daughter Emma was baptised in 1837.  He married Mary MANNING in 1824.

He arrived in Tasmania then went to NSW in 1815. There is no indent for him and I can't find his conduct record where it is supposed to be.  James McCOY was tried with him and I am getting error messages when I try to open his records.  They should be recorded together as both are M names.

The indent would be the only document that would have named family.  I also can't find his family in 1828 in NSW.  8) 8)

Plenty of mentions in the Col. Sec's correspondence.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0a1o/

There would most likely be references in the later correspondence which is not online.

A picture of the Emu Ferry in 1835.  Brave souls  ;D

http://www.ferriesofsydney.com/index.php?topic=2421.0

You would need to ask one of those people what evidence they have that the two Johns were the same person.

Debra  :)

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 January 16 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Hoping someone can look up a death record for me for John Mills in Richmond in 1859 1407/1859 V18591407 157

^The above is his burial record from the church register^

John MILLS 64yrs 7 Feb 1859
Parish: St Peters, Church of England, RICHMOND
Ref: V18591407 157

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 January 16 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Is the John MILLS you are looking for likely to have been schooled?

The one on the Indefatigable must have been, as not only could he read and write but could do math as well! His early position on the Hawkesbury was in the commissariat proving his worth.

I don't believe Parents and or siblings are listed on convict normally unless they were to accompany the convict or petition to follow.

15 children wow  :o he and Mary left a lasting legacy.

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 January 16 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo,

I have seen in some Church Register Burial records the name of the ship that the deceased came out on if they were bonded.

The columns on the 1847 Burial Register for Richmond were as follows, these were probably the same for 1859.

Name.
Abode.
When died.
Where buried.
Age.
Quality or profession (if bonded name of ship)
By whom the ceremony was performed.

Parents names were not officially called for but if a child was buried a reference sometimes would be made to a parent eg; "son of xxx"

Many of these early records are available on microfilm at the Queensland State Library and next time I am there I will see if I can find this burial record and send you a copy.

Gerry

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 January 16 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

The Burial record is from Volume 157 and line 1407.   Volume 157 is not part of the NSW State Records filmed records. 

The NSW BDM also has the civil registration for the death of John MILLS.  It is referenced 4832/1859.  From the information at the online index, the actual civil registration does not have the details of his parents recorded, as instead of his Dad's name the indexer has looked further into the registration and noted his age of 64 years, and instead of his Mum's name the indexer has looked further and noted that he died at Richmond.  The BDM district of Richmond was a much larger area than just the town of Richmond NSW.   

NSW BDM certificates can be a tad expensive, however NSW BDM has appointed Official Transcription Agents who all offer a great service.  The full transcriptions option provides all the details from the civil registration, just not in a fancy certified watermarked document. 

Here's the live link to NSW BDM re transcription agents.  http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history/family-history.aspx#transcription

4832/1859 (the civil registration) has date of death as 4 February 1859

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 January 16 23:14 GMT (UK) »

Thanks JM for the update, had a feeling that Volume 157 was not part of the records available at QSL but I couldn't find my list.

Gerry