Author Topic: John Mills death 1859 Richmond  (Read 1755 times)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Mills death 1859 Richmond
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 23 January 16 03:48 GMT (UK) »
James McCOY was tried with him and I am getting error messages when I try to open his records.  They should be recorded together as both are M names.

Debra  :)

I forgot that 'Mc' names arranged by the second part of the name so he is with the 'C' names  ::)

The conduct register gives an index at the beginning for all page numbers of convicts on each ship.  I have looked at every noted page for the Indefatigable and I have gone through it myself and still can't find him.  Tas Archives do not link to the page as they do with the others so obviously they couldn't find him either.  I didn't check to see if any pages were missing, but the index is original and those pages are all there.

http://search.archives.tas.gov.au/ImageViewer/image_viewer.htm?CON31-1-29,366,4,F,70

There are generally few surviving indents for those early convicts, so it is not just him.  You will also see here that there are no description documents for convict names G-O 1803 to 1830.  Personally I think it is a conspiracy.   :P

http://search.archives.tas.gov.au/default.aspx?detail=1&type=S&id=CON23

If you can prove that Margaret baptised in 1825 and Emma baptised in 1837 are both the daughters of the same man then Margaret's baptism may show an occupation of Ferryman or something similar and that would confirm the connection between the Ferryman and the Schoolmaster.  Then you have to prove that he is your upholsterer  ;D

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 23 January 16 03:49 GMT (UK) »
Neil, he arrived in Tassie first.

He arrived in Tasmania then went to NSW in 1815.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 23 January 16 03:57 GMT (UK) »
Personally I think it is a conspiracy.   :P

Like Henry PROPSTING - I love this story.

http://search.archives.tas.gov.au/ImageViewer/image_viewer.htm?CON31-1-35,271,70,F,60

Read from halfway down page 255 - "Another way to hide the past was vagueness..."

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01gwl/

Sorry, off topic  :P

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 23 January 16 04:20 GMT (UK) »
I cannot find him in 1828  ::) but I will get my CD out and check that way later  ;D

There's the secondary sources at the Biographical Database of Australia....

12 Jan 1824
John MILLS, aged 27, a Bachelor of Sydney, a Clerk married Mary MANNING, aged 22 a Spinster of Sydney.  Witnesses Andrew BALL and Elizabeth MANNING.   All four signed their names.   Marriage registered by Rev William Cowper at St Philips C of E.  as by Banns.. 

Alas, there's no mention in that transcription of any ship of arrival for the Bachelor of Sydney.

NSW BDM index has it indexed twice,  and here's family search https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTCT-29Z

Very very unlikely that any parents will be noted on the parish register.   It might be worthwhile getting to an image of the original record to see if there's any margin notes. 

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 23 January 16 05:13 GMT (UK) »
Taking a hint from Debra I started looking for David Bush, also of the Indefatigable and trial the same day, I went through every page from the link to his conduct record and it too is not there!
So I have John Mills, born London 1794, an upholsterer, educated, having 8 good character references, transported for life aboard the Infatigable in 1812 to Tassie. That matches the Colonial Secretary paper records to the John Mills who became a ferry operator. There is no obvious link through naming patterns of his children to link him to the London family and no reference to him in any London wills found?
Stumped at what next as not able to look in person at any other records and money is an issue in this case?

You are all wonderful and I truly appreciate all your thoughts and insights, any further help is welcome.
Jo  :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 23 January 16 11:43 GMT (UK) »

12 Jan 1824
John MILLS, aged 27, a Bachelor of Sydney, a Clerk married Mary MANNING, aged 22 a Spinster of Sydney.  Witnesses Andrew BALL and Elizabeth MANNING.   All four signed their names.   Marriage registered by Rev William Cowper at St Philips C of E.  as by Banns.. 

Cheers,  JM

Indefatigable John was operating his ferry in Jan 1824 so if the marriage to Mary MANNING gives that John's occupation as Clerk then there has to be some doubt that he is the same person.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 23 January 16 12:04 GMT (UK) »
And some more doubt .... "of Sydney"   considering Liberty Plains was quite a distance from Sydney on the Road to Parramatta which in turn was a considerable distance from Emu Ford  :) and the Toll Gates were at at the outskirts of Sydney Town .... so where Broadway becomes George Street was basically the limit for Sydney  :) in the 1820s....   

I can see a clerk becoming a School teacher ..... do you know when John Mills first commenced teaching in the Richmond district ....

http://www.westernsydneylibraries.nsw.gov.au/hawkesbury/education.html

ADD 1836 MAP Sydney
http://acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/album/albumView.aspx?itemID=891572&acmsid=0

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 23 January 16 12:43 GMT (UK) »
I am probably heading off track, but just in case  :)

Re Elizabeth MANNING and her sister Mary (Mrs John Mills)

18 Dec 1826
George TATE and Elizabeth MANNING married, registered St Marys Roman Catholic, Sydney,  witnesses Hugh MURRAY and Mary MILLS. 

NSW BDM 1826, Volume 127,  line 207

Cheers,  JM

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 23 January 16 13:04 GMT (UK) »
The returns of the Colony 1841-1843 show that it was a Catholic school at Ham Common, Richmond where John MILLS was schoolmaster.

The 1841 census shows him at Ham Common:

1 x Male aged under two years
1 x Male aged between 14 and 21
1 x Male aged between 21 and 45

2 x Females aged between 2 and 7
2 x Females aged between 7 and 14
1 x Female aged between 21 and 45

Married are 1 x Male and 1 x Female, all the others are single.

2 x Males born in the Colony
5 x Females born in the Colony
1 x Male an 'Other free person' (did not arrive free, was not born in the Colony)

All Church of England

1 x Male classified as either Landed Proprietor, Merchant, Banker or other Professional Person