Author Topic: John Mills death 1859 Richmond  (Read 1753 times)

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Mills death 1859 Richmond
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 January 16 01:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all of you, you are all awesome!

The John I am looking for would have been educated, and was an 18 year old upholsterer from London. He is not mentioned in either of his parents wills (his mothers will lists all his other siblings, as well as the widow of one deceased brother). I can see no other likely records for the John I am looking for.

Why would there be no indent record and is it likely that a life sentence is given a conditional pardon so quickly and that he would go from Tassie to NSW in such a short space of time (David Bush, sentenced for life also on same day, also on Indefatigable, was also in NSW by 1815)?

Is it likely to go from a punt operator to a school teacher?

Any advice or suggestions appreciated.

Jo  :)

Note that there did not seem to a lot of evidence of the crime he was charged with and he called 8 witnesses who gave him good reference?
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 January 16 01:09 GMT (UK) »
What is your connection to John MILLS?

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 January 16 01:11 GMT (UK) »
I am researching on behalf of a friend who is a direct descendant of One of John's siblings 😊
Sipthorpe - Lancashire

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 January 16 02:36 GMT (UK) »
New South Wales included the penal settlements in VDL  :) and Lachlan Macquarie was the Governor from 1810-1821, with Lieutenant Governors stationed in VDL.   So technically, they were in NSW even when in penal settlements in VDL.   Macquarie emancipated many convicts before their original sentences had expired.

Re the changes of occupation.....  There's no reason to doubt the possibility of changing from a punt operator at Emu on the Nepean, to a School Teacher in the Richmond District on the Hawkesbury.  The Nepean and the Hawkesbury are the same river.   There were huge increases in the population of NSW in the 1850s after the discovery of gold.  So there were many opportunities for people to start their own schools and be School Masters.   

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 January 16 02:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks JM, what would be the reason for no records for John Mills in Tassie? You are always a great source of knowledge  :)
Sipthorpe - Lancashire

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 January 16 02:54 GMT (UK) »
Some loss of records occurred over time.   But perhaps others have been mis-filed....

MILLS

Miles, Wills, Miss,  Miff, Mells, Wells, Walls, Mole, Moles, er cetera all come to mind

Cheers JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 23 January 16 03:16 GMT (UK) »
Apart from John MILLS the actor, I think I found near 30 other John MILLS Convicts. You really need to find his records to satisfy yourself you are tracking the correct one.

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 23 January 16 03:23 GMT (UK) »
JM may be able to help, but the ship "indefatigable" does no show on the NSW Records for convict INDENTS ??? No wonder you can't find the indent ::) ???

No idea where they would be found ???

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 23 January 16 03:47 GMT (UK) »
There are no parents listed on the death index and to see if the informant knew anything else about him such as spouse, children, place of birth or time in the colony, you would have to purchase a transcription.  There would be no reference to siblings unless they were the informant.

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history/family-history.aspx#transcription

There is a note on a family tree which says that his occupation was given as 'Schoolmaster' when his daughter Emma was baptised in 1837.  He married Mary MANNING in 1824.

He arrived in Tasmania then went to NSW in 1815. There is no indent for him and I can't find his conduct record where it is supposed to be.  James McCOY was tried with him and I am getting error messages when I try to open his records.  They should be recorded together as both are M names.

The indent would be the only document that would have named family.  I also can't find his family in 1828 in NSW.  8) 8)

Plenty of mentions in the Col. Sec's correspondence.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0a1o/

There would most likely be references in the later correspondence which is not online.

A picture of the Emu Ferry in 1835.  Brave souls  ;D

http://www.ferriesofsydney.com/index.php?topic=2421.0

You would need to ask one of those people what evidence they have that the two Johns were the same person.

Debra  :)

Debra is far far better than JM  :)

https://talis.ent.sirsidynix.net.au/client/en_AU/names/search/results?qu=john&qu=mills&qf=NI_INDEX%09Record+type%09Convicts%09Convicts