Author Topic: Barriers To Genealogy In The Future  (Read 26695 times)

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Barriers To Genealogy In The Future
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 24 January 16 12:24 GMT (UK) »
How will future family historians trace our "professional" welfare recipients, with multiple children from multiple fathers? Names on birth certificates may not be the same as those used in life.
This is not intended as a jibe or judgement, simply an observation.  :)

Many years ago when I was working in the medical sphere, we had a young lady who had multiple children by multiple fathers.  When she was first pregnant, the reputed father ditched her; she took up with next guy who consented to have his name as father of the child when born.  Then he ditched her after she got pregnant with his child, and so on it went, down the line.  So all these children had fathers named on their birth certificates, who are not their father at all!  I often wonder if their mother ever told them the truth  ???   ???   ???

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 24 January 16 12:25 GMT (UK) »
As has been said, society has been 'liberated' progessively since WW2, with a steady dwindling of deference to 'authority'.  I can't help wondering how complete our census is, and whether there are a few million more people in UK than we imagine.  As so many people only register their partnerships (of whatever kind) if and when they feel inclined, what about births? (I guess most deaths will get dealt with somehow)  :P

But I don't believe it didn't happen in the 19th century.  There is no record of the birth of one of my gt-gt-aunts in Devon in 1845.  At that time, if a family just didn't get round to registering a birth, what difference did it make to anything important?  They probably considered baptism of more value.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 24 January 16 12:30 GMT (UK) »
At that time, if a family just didn't get round to registering a birth, what difference did it make to anything important?  They probably considered baptism of more value.
I agree that the issues of the past are similar. I cant find a birth record for my grandmother. Not an official one. It may well be in a Catholic Church record somewhere.

What about the American Survivalists or those who disagree with Government Regulation? Its an interesting future
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 24 January 16 12:33 GMT (UK) »

Another I have thought of , in line with this , are cuckoo events in Maintenance Orders. What do people think of compulsory DNA testing for ALL newborns?

why not a triangle as well?? ::)

Kind regards
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 24 January 16 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your valued response
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 24 January 16 12:42 GMT (UK) »
I can see future generations scratching their heads ;D

At least we can forewarn them to be in the same household on census night giving their relationships just to "clarify"  ;D  ;D

It is our genealogy gift to them ;D ;D

Census doesn't help in South Africa, they are destroyed as soon as the data is extracted.  It makes me want to weep at all the valuable information that has been lost for generations. ??? :'( :'(

Same in NZ, destroyed after statistics are done!.  We have to rely on Electoral Rolls!
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 24 January 16 16:49 GMT (UK) »
(Being long-winded, I've several time got warnings that a new post is "in" whilst I'm still typing - even though I type quickly)
I suspect that 100 years hence there simply will not be genealogy as we know it. After all, when we've documented all trees to date (accurately, of course), then between uncertainty of parentage, and the trick so perfected with the "Doomsday" project, of making sure that the machines-to-read-the-computerised-information become obsolete/unavailable, then there simply will BE no genealogy research - and no "Rootschat", either.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 24 January 16 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to the "posts while you were typing" club, ThrelfallYorky.  ;D
And I think I agree with you; who knows where society and technology will go? The only thing that keeps me thinking we will still have records and data in the future is the Big Brother concept. Governments and companies (think Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Apple) already want to know everything about us. I can't see this changing in the future.
And regarding documentation in the past, what about imagined fathers on marriage certificates, to hide illegitimacy? Or a husband who had died or deserted still named on a birth certificate, for the sake of propriety?
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 24 January 16 21:16 GMT (UK) »
You're quite right TY!  And for those of us who have already done the hard yards, all our own descendants will need to do is add to it as they go along! 

I think we should try to ensure that the message, and hard copies as well as tech ones,  are handed down through our present and future generations, that someone in each family volunteers, or is nominated, to take responsibility for and be the faithful recorder and keeper of the treasure!  😄😄 

Will that work in my family??  I truly don't know!   ;D ;D ;D

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections