Author Topic: Barriers To Genealogy In The Future  (Read 26696 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Barriers To Genealogy In The Future
« Reply #216 on: Friday 05 February 16 05:00 GMT (UK) »
http://www.abs.gov.au/websitedbs/censushome.nsf/home/2016

2016 Australian Census   (9 August 2016) .....

Completing the Census online will be fast, easy, secure, environmentally friendly, and help to reduce the cost of the Census to the community.

Paper forms can be requested where needed and must be completed and returned in the Reply Paid envelope provided without delay.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: Friday 05 February 16 05:35 GMT (UK) »
last updated 5 February 2016 (that's today of course)

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/ViewContent?readform&view=ProductsbyCatalogue&Action=Expand&Num=2.2

Australian Bureau of Statistics

21. Historical Censuses (Pre 1996)

2101.0   Census of Population and Housing, 1991
2102.0   Census of Population and Housing, 1986
2103.0   Census of Population and Housing, 1981
2104.0   Census of Population and Housing, 1976
2105.0   Census of Population and Housing, 1971
2106.0   Census of Population and Housing, 1966
2107.0   Census of the Commonwealth of Australia, 1961
2108.0   Census of the Commonwealth of Australia, 1954
2109.0   Census of the Commonwealth of Australia, 1947
2110.0   Census of the Commonwealth of Australia, 1933
2111.0   Census of the Commonwealth of Australia, 1921
2112.0   Census of the Commonwealth of Australia, 1911
2113.0   National Register, 1939
2114.0   Supplementary Civilian Register, 1943
2115.0   City of Canberra: Population distribution, district by age at each census, population count or special count, 1943
This page last updated 5 February 2016

Also this link has info for NSW from earlier years.
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/short-guide-12/short-guide-12

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/short-guide-7/short-guide-7#background

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: Friday 05 February 16 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Surprisingly, Andrew, the "stigma" was really only an issue from the Victorian times through to the 1960's or 70's.

No, I'm not surprised.  That's just the period we are often looking at, and talking about.  Though you won't ignore the existence of all those bastardy orders which were issued to ensure which parish paid for upkeep. I would guess those must have caused a bit of stigma somewhere.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: Friday 05 February 16 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Even in the 21st century the tyranny of distance between localities throughout the continent of Australia has significant impact on the time it takes for a person to get to their local doctor, dentist, hospital (measure this in several hours in the car in each direction).  In the larger states and in the Northern Territory, the tyranny of distance has a greater impact on those who live and work in remote locations.

Do you have Flying Vicars out there too, majm?   :)
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: Friday 05 February 16 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Even in the 21st century the tyranny of distance between localities throughout the continent of Australia has significant impact on the time it takes for a person to get to their local doctor, dentist, hospital (measure this in several hours in the car in each direction).  In the larger states and in the Northern Territory, the tyranny of distance has a greater impact on those who live and work in remote locations.

Do you have Flying Vicars out there too, majm?   :)

There is at least one flying padre out of Broken Hill (I think he is still flying) and there may be others. Also Fly In, Fly Out ministers visit various mines in Western Australia. Politicians in outback electorates often fly around their electorate as they can be huge. One West Australian Federal Electorate is more than 7 times the area of Great Britain.

Andy

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: Friday 05 February 16 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Andrew, as Andy said, Flying Vicars ..... one of the early ones just happens to be one of my living relatives who is not an RChatter, but who reads my posts, and who has read this thread several times.  The people mentioned in the following link are known to my extended family, but are not members of my extended family.  http://www.apwb.net/missions/bush-church-aid-bca 

May I mention of course that perhaps one of the reasons in the English colonies, particularly the ones here in Australia.  that there has been less 'stigma' around babies born outside of a formal marriage can be attributed to the lack of any process re bastardy orders.   You will likely find that the clergy were not the originators of that 'stigma' afterall a baptism is not about the person's parentage, but about the person herself or himself.   The condition of their parents is of no significance to the sacrament. 

May I mention at times it can be important when posting on the Common Room Board to remember that there can be questions posed, topics raised, that are not limited to providing information about the English Home Counties, and perhaps it would be sensible to mention at least the relevant jurisdiction when providing some of the remarks.  It would be helpful in the readers coming to a better understanding of some of the remarks. 

.......  That's just the period we are often looking at, and talking about.  Though you won't ignore the existence of all those bastardy orders which were issued to ensure which parish paid for upkeep. I would guess those must have caused a bit of stigma somewhere.

Cheers,  JM

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: Friday 05 February 16 10:31 GMT (UK) »
May I mention at times it can be important when posting on the Common Room Board to remember that there can be questions posed, topics raised, that are not limited to providing information about the English Home Counties,

When refering to the need to ensure posters are aware what jurisdiction a comment refers to, its worth bearing in mind that the English "Home Counties" only refers to the counties that surround London and not all counties in England. ;D  While I, and probably many others in the UK, appreciate you may be intending to refer to the whole of England, use of the phrase relating to the whole of England is not actually accurate. ;)
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: Friday 05 February 16 10:39 GMT (UK) »
For some light reading  ;D   

Here's a particular general order (newspaper cutting in link below) issued by the NSW Governor Lachlan Macquarie, a Scotsman.  You can see it was issued in 1810.  So historically, NSW was a penal colony.  Some of those transported beyond the seas under sentence of a civil court had been emancipated.  Some were still serving sentences, some were en route to NSW.  Macquarie changed many of the former penal practices, and he established order out of dis-order.  For there had been a revolt, a coup d'etat so to write.... and so there was a Military Dictatorship/Republic to be ousted, and a former Governor to be despatched back to England along with those who had overthrown him.

Within just weeks of Macquarie taking up his NSW accommodations, and commencing his active duties as governor, he issued a number of General Orders (remember there was no Parliament here in NSW at that time).   

So here's one of the General Orders for you to contemplate :  (enjoy the words as much as the construct and the possible outcomes for these G.O.s to be obeyed to their fullest extent.)

And then please remember that Macquarie gave NSW the G.O.s that resulted in our initial Early Church Records for Baptisms (of all denominations), Burials, and Weddings....  as G.O.s also issued in 1810  ;D

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/627938 Sydney Gazette 3 March 1810.

So, there has been many differences between English admin and Australian admin for centuries.  It took a Scot to sort it out here.   :P  :P  :P 

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: Friday 05 February 16 10:41 GMT (UK) »
May I mention at times it can be important when posting on the Common Room Board to remember that there can be questions posed, topics raised, that are not limited to providing information about the English Home Counties,

When refering to the need to ensure posters are aware what jurisdiction a comment refers to, its worth bearing in mind that the English "Home Counties" only refers to the counties that surround London and not all counties in England. ;D  While I, and probably many others in the UK, appreciate you may be intending to refer to the whole of England, use of the phrase relating to the whole of England is not actually accurate. ;)

Fair enough,  I won't edit my post, but I was perhaps referring to the "Home Counties" as being England .... definitely not including Wales, or Scotland or any part of Ireland.   :)