Author Topic: Barriers To Genealogy In The Future  (Read 26702 times)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Re: Barriers To Genealogy In The Future
« Reply #207 on: Thursday 04 February 16 22:43 GMT (UK) »
.....'don't let him get his hands on yer'.

That's probably about all they were told Andrew!  And a lot of them probably didn't have a clue what it meant anyway! 

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: Thursday 04 February 16 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Surprisingly, Andrew, the "stigma" was really only an issue from the Victorian times through to the 1960's or 70's.
@DavidG, do you mean things like fritz/devon, etc?  ;D
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: Friday 05 February 16 00:21 GMT (UK) »
And in many families in rural NSW there was very little 'stigma' during the early Victorian era as there were few clergy and long distances between small settlements.   So what may have been 'stigma' in the English counties, may not have been so significant, beyond the seas,  in the English colonies.    At no stage in NSW colonial times was there ever a law/regulation/general order making the Church of England the Established Church.  There was no Establish Church in NSW. 

As NSW included a huge geographic area (from at least 1788 to say 1859 when Qld was hived off) it can actually be helpful to check the online indexes for NSW BDM to find BDM events recorded there for ceremonies held throughout the South Sea Islands, New Zealand, Victoria, Tasmania, Queensland, as well as what is now the much smaller land mass of NSW. 

There are of course BDM for NSW events (NSW being that larger territory noted above) held by the (C of E) Bishop of Calcutta, yes, the sub-continent  :) for several decades commencing from the first settlement and for much of the penal era (so from 1788 forward into the 1800s) .   

Even in the 21st century the tyranny of distance between localities throughout the continent of Australia has significant impact on the time it takes for a person to get to their local doctor, dentist, hospital (measure this in several hours in the car in each direction).  In the larger states and in the Northern Territory, the tyranny of distance has a greater impact on those who live and work in remote locations.

I am sure there will be other unique conditions existing in other jurisdictions throughout the world, and so to me, one significant barrier to genealogy in the future will be to what degree the family history buff even knows to seek out the administrative rules and regulations that governed the actual creation of the official document they are looking at, at that future time. 

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: Friday 05 February 16 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Surprisingly, Andrew, the "stigma" was really only an issue from the Victorian times through to the 1960's or 70's.
@DavidG, do you mean things like fritz/devon, etc?  ;D

And, Pine,  the name changes made to towns throughout Australia .... I immediately think of Holbrook in NSW (the town with the submarine parked in the park in the main street) ....

Official records : Ten Mile Post Office, then Germanton, then Holbrook  :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holbrook,_New_South_Wales
http://www.historyaustralia.org.au/ifhaa/towns/holbrook.htm

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: Friday 05 February 16 01:42 GMT (UK) »
I sometime wonder if handfasting marriages were officially recorded, if the couple didn't later marry later.  Or if the woman was later discarded because of whatever!  I've been googling that, quite interesting!
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: Friday 05 February 16 01:51 GMT (UK) »
 :) yes ! 

And then there's burials at sea .....
And then there's names on Memorials, especially confusing to some, if the death occurred in say NSW but they are memorialised on a tombstone in Scotland. 
And then there's civil birth registrations at NSW BDM for babies born up to eighteen months before arriving in NSW (this in the colonial era), so a baby born in England in say from mid 1854 until about 1870s with a GRO reference and a family search baptism found etc can also have a civil birth registration in NSW... if the baby arrived in NSW within the first eighteen months of being born (of course, this was in the 1850s and 1860s after civil registration commenced in NSW 1 March 1856).

ADD, and the births registered in NSW can show variations in spelling, and even in surnames ..... can be fun tracking down and sorting out 'fact' from 'factoid'  :)  :)  usually the actual date of birth, together with the stated location of the place of birth as per NSW BDM cert will resolve any confusions.  :) 

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: Friday 05 February 16 01:54 GMT (UK) »
Relationship register  :) 21st century style for NSW BDM  :)

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/marriages/relationship-register.aspx

Cheers,  JM

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: Friday 05 February 16 02:14 GMT (UK) »
Good one majm.  And below some interesting twists in Language usage.

Modified to add, sorry looks like I've put up the wrong link, will keep looking!

And Now I've lost the darned link!  Specsavers time!

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: Friday 05 February 16 02:25 GMT (UK) »
"Provided at least one partner lives in NSW, you can apply to register a relationship in NSW"

"A couple does not have to live together to be eligible to register their relationship."

That's a direct quote or two  :) from that  link re NSW Relationships register

Yes, Jaybelnz, that's some interesting twists there too in your links  :D  :D.

So I wonder if there are other jurisdictions with registers like the NSW one, .... you don't have to be living together to be a couple.    ;D  ;D  ::)  ::)

Of course, being NSW BDM, the register itself is likely to be restricted access, and perhaps have the same restrictions as the marriage register ... 50 years before index entry is displayed online, and 50 years before members of the general public can gain access to the register.....   

Cheers,  JM