Author Topic: Marriage certificate for Thomas Kavanagh only so is it possible to find him?  (Read 14273 times)

Offline eyshame

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage certificate only so is it possible to find him?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 January 16 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Jen B, many thanks for your help, it is appreciated.
Do I need to start a new thread to amend the date of 1864 to 1867? How is it best to change this date?
Thanks

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 January 16 19:11 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure everyone has tales of chance discoveries but I'd just like to say that I'd found nothing on a brother and sister of my husband's ggg grandfather after their teens (1851/61) but in the last few days have found both, through to their deaths, and all through pure chance (a marriage at the church where 2 of the 4 siblings were baptised suddenly jumped out at me, though they were last known some miles away; the image was online and was spot on). 

So you can find new leads, especially as more and more information is coming online regularly.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 January 16 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Jen B, many thanks for your help, it is appreciated.
Do I need to start a new thread to amend the date of 1864 to 1867? How is it best to change this date?
Thanks

Please DO NOT start another thread on this topic- there's already enough confusion and duplication. You can always add a post to an existing thread but in this case it might be better to ask a moderator to have a look and perhaps lock all but ONE topic (posting a link to the open thread).

It seems to me that you haven't exhausted all possible leads or followed advise given until you order the 1864 birth certificate from GRO to confirm or rule out that lead.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 January 16 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Do I need to start a new thread

No, please don't start another one  :)

Please don't get too fixated up on a 1867 d.o.b. The censuses were consistent in showing him aged 7 in 1871 and 17 in 1881, i.e. born 1863/4.

You know that the father's name was Thomas and, according to the 1871 and 1881 censuses the mother's name was Catherine. Have you asked Stockton R.O. to check that 1864 birth for those christian names and NOTHING ELSE? Adding in occupations and places of birth which have come from later documents is a slightly dodgy move - they might not be the same on the birth cert.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline eyshame

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 January 16 20:43 GMT (UK) »
I have contacted the support team and asked for my threads to be either locked or preferably deleted all together.
yes I contacted the Stockton reg office and the Durham office and the Stockport office all with out success.
I am not in a financial position to keep buying certificates so I was advised to look for baptismal records but no luck there either which is why I tried a baptismal search for Thomas' brother John between 1870 and 1872 as he was consistently born in Ferry Hill as opposed to Thomas who was born in both Wrexham and Spennymoor.
Information from 1871 census RG10/4953 and the 1881 census  RG11/4925 plus Thomas' marriage cert of 1894 in Lanchester Co Durham to Margaret Mc Coy. This is all my information.  I have followed up all leads to date. I accept this is a frustrating case as there is no one more frustrated than myself after some 12 years. Maybe I should give up.
I hope the support team do delete all threads as I would prefer that now.
Very many thanks to everyone who has tried to help, it was all appreciated. I am not upset but prefer to eliminate the confusion and deletion seems the best way.
E.

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 25 January 16 20:55 GMT (UK) »
It's really not fair on everyone who has tried to help to get all the threads deleted  :-\

Checking baptismal records sometimes only works if you do find the correct record but not all are online. For the surviving records there may be gaps, missing or illegible pages or the clergyman may simply have neglected to record the one particular baptism you need.

I certainly wasn't suggesting that you purchase lots of random certificates- just that one due to the location and date. If the local registry offices cannot locate it then the GRO reference should make it easier to order through them.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 25 January 16 21:00 GMT (UK) »
There is a JOHN KAVANAGH birth registered in Stockton.... Dec quarter 1872. If his father is Thomas and mother is Catherine then you at least have her maiden name.  (Durham, vol 10a, p 65)
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 25 January 16 21:06 GMT (UK) »
There is a JOHN KAVANAGH birth registered in Stockton.... Dec quarter 1872. If his father is Thomas and mother is Catherine then you at least have her maiden name.  (Durham, vol 10a, p 65)

This has already come up on another thread.
As John is on the 1871 census aged 1 an 1872 birth isn't feasible
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 25 January 16 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Apologies I didn't read all the old posts :-[