Author Topic: Marriage Archibald Martin, Ann Lawson, 1828-1846  (Read 2924 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Archibald Martin, Ann Lawson, 1828-1846
« Reply #9 on: Friday 29 January 16 02:01 GMT (UK) »
Tonight, I have found the death of James Neill, son-in-law to Archibald Martin. He died Aug 8, 1911 in Culramoney, Stanocum, Co. Antrim. I know it is the correct person because he is retired RIC. His will is listed on Proni but no images. Does that mean no image online for the public or no images at Proni?
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 January 16 02:49 GMT (UK) »
It means that PRONI haven’t got around to putting it on-line yet. The probate file should exist but it’s still just in paper format. So you need to ask PRONI or someone else to get you a copy.

Not only are not all the wills on-line yet, but the abstracts (summaries) only go up to about 1966 too. So if you are looking for a probate file for someone who died in say the 1980s, there’s nothing at all on-line. However there’s will index books for those in PRONI which you can look up (assuming you can get to PRONI of course).
Elwyn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 29 January 16 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Lots of different spellings of Culramoney but 'Stanocum' should be Stranocum.

Probate of the Will of James Neill late of Cullermoney County Antrim Farmer and Sergeant R.I.C. (Retired) who died 8 August 1911 granted at Belfast to Archibald Martin Neill Farmer and Annie Neill Spinster.

For reference, James is listed as farmer in 1901 and 1911-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Stranocum/Colramoney/942963
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Stranocum/Colramoney/126747
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 29 January 16 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, aghadowey. I did find James in the 1901 and 1911. Funny combination of occupations.
I am still waiting for the wills of Francis Lawson, Sr. and Jr. from Massachusetts. Seems to be a delay in processing, by a few weeks.  I know that Thomas Martin was executor of Francis Jr.'s will. Perhaps James Neill will be mentioned in one of the wills (Sarah was already deceased). I am hoping that some of my Beggs/Boyd relatives will be mentioned, thereby proving that Francis is the son of my Robert Boyd, not a different Robert Boyd. But all research so far indicates that Francis is connected to my Robert Boyd. I will keep you informed.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 29 January 16 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Funny combination of occupations.

Police Officers often only served for 25 or 30 years, so a hundred years ago it was common for them to acquire a new occupation if they had retired at 45 or 50. Taking over the family farm would be one option. Nowadays they still retire after 30 years but tend to work for private security companies or get jobs in Afghanistan and Iraq advising on personal security etc. Plus ça change.
Elwyn

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 30 January 16 19:23 GMT (UK) »
In 1833 an incomplete record has Kilbride entries for:-
Lasson, Francis   Townland : Kilbride Year: 1833
Lasson, John   Townland : Kilbride Year: 1833
from http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/antrim/tithe-applotments/kilbride-parish.php#
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 30 January 16 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks BallyaltikilliganG. I did see those entries before (some kind soul clued into that Lasson might be Lawson) and I did send for some land records via Elwyn to try and sort things out. I am thinking Ann is the daughter of Francis only because she names her son with Robert Boyd "Francis Lawson Boyd".  But I don't know as yet.  Francis Lawson Boyd dropped the Boyd when he emigrated to USA and his obit gives Thomas A. Martin and James Bain Martin, both born Kilbride, as his brothers. I think half-brothers as  the parents of Thomas and James are Archibald Martin and Ann Lawson. I am waiting for the will of Francis Lawson and hoping that he names some of his Boyd/Beggs cousins so that I can be sure he is indeed the son  of my Robert Boyd and not a different Robert Boyd.
Thanks again for the Kilbride entries regarding Lasson.
Peggy