Author Topic: Cuckfield Holdens  (Read 657 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Cuckfield Holdens
« on: Tuesday 26 January 16 00:44 GMT (UK) »
I hope someone can help me with a little puzzle I have. I have three different families in my ancestry and they're all from Sussex. One ancestor Stephen Holden married Jane Holden, their daughter Hannah Holden married Daniel Wells in 1815 in Cuckfield, and their daughter Winifred married.......George Holden (from Brighton)!

I've now found in my notes a reference to a James Holden and Mary Virgo who were married in either Itchingfield or Clayton in 1732. I have no children listed for them and can't work out which set of Holdens they link to. They're not the ancestors of James as his father was Francis and his father was John Holden.

Is anyone able to check parish registers for Cuckfield/Hurstpierpoint for children of James and Mary Holden between 1731 and 1749? If I can identify their children then I might be able to work out which branch they connect to.

Hope someone can help

Matt

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cuckfield Holdens
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Mary Virgo married John Holden at Clayton 26th Nov 1732.  The only detail given on the Sussex Marriage Index is that Mary is of the parish of Clayton.
I can check the Cuckfield registers for you.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 08:54 GMT (UK) »
The earliest Holden baptism in Cuckfield appears to be James, son of James and Jane in 1771.  Henry and Phillis are also baptising children in the 1770s.   What makes you think they were in Cuckfield earlier than that?
I can check Clayton for you later.
Edit - John and Mary had at least two children in Clayton.  James in 1733 and Hannah in 1735.

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 09:02 GMT (UK) »
There is nothing at Cuckfield , as sillgen has said , or Hurstpierpoint, but there are 2 baptisms at Clayton:

Hannah 29 Jun 1735 John & Mary Holden

James 21 Apr 1733 John & Mary      "
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for those. As I mentioned I have three Holden branches, one in Cuckfield, one in Hurstpierpoint and one in Brighton. I think the link I am looking for is though two children born in Clayton (John and Mary) as they ring a bell. I'll have to go and look at my old notes to check.

Thanks again.

Matt