Author Topic: James & Esther Harvey Convict Deaths  (Read 4039 times)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James & Esther Harvey Convict Deaths
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Melbourne General Cemetery
Harvey, James- Age 86- service 07/04/1920
Harvey, James- service 28/11/1862
Harvey James- Age 81- 28/05/1903 ??
Harvey James- Age 85- Service 26/01/1870

This may be the registration for this death and gives him another 5 years:

Death

HARVEY,  Jas
Father: Jno HARVEY
Mother: Mary (Maiden surname unknown)
Died: Hoth W B A
Age 86

I think this should be 'M B A' which would be the Melbourne Benevolent Asylum at Hotham.

Debra  :)

Offline Noy1818

• RootsChat Senior
  • Fairlie- The convict ship Michael Noy travelled on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Melbourne General Cemetery
Harvey, James- Age 86- service 07/04/1920
Harvey, James- service 28/11/1862
Harvey James- Age 81- 28/05/1903 ??
Harvey James- Age 85- Service 26/01/1870

This may be the registration for this death and gives him another 5 years:

Death

HARVEY,  Jas
Age 86

I think this should be 'M B A' which would be the Melbourne Benevolent Asylum at Hotham.

Debra  :)

Thanks for that Debra!  :) I'll check it out and see if we can link that particular death to him!

Offline Noy1818

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 04:11 BST (UK) »
Finally back at this forum posts again! It has been a while. I only just got round to getting the death certificate-

HARVEY,  Jas
Age 86

Debra you found the correct man! Below is the death certificate (sorry I've had to split it in 2, he is the 2nd of the 2). Would anyone be able to decipher what his mother's occupation is? It says he was 'not married' but as his wife died abt 30 years before and he basically lost his marbles I'm not surprised it says that! He may even have had dementia but as it wasn't a fully understood medical condition, it could have just been recorded as senile debility like what it states.

I haven't been able to find the Harvey family in the census before and after Esther's death in 1884. Not sure if someone would be able to point me in the right direction. Would love to know how the family coped and how James ended up in the asylum.

Offline Noy1818

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 April 16 09:35 BST (UK) »
Just thought I would upload a picture of the headstone that myself and the family DIYed for Esther Harvey. We went up to the cemetery today and were very pleased with how it turned out. We also planted daffodils so in the coming months it will bloom. Please note I have blanked out a name in the headstone just because of online security. We managed to track down James' plot and unfortunately he has neither a stone nor a border to outline his grave. He is sharing the single plot grave with another man by the name of John Lloyd. Not sure who he is at the current moment.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 April 16 02:27 BST (UK) »
What a beautiful tribute you have made for Esther.

On the death certificate in the column about his parents the words under "Mary HARVEY" are "Not known" meaning that her maiden surname isn't known.  Interesting that the informant for this certificate knew enough about him to know his parents' names and the occupation of his father but not know that he had been married and had children. Perhaps there were papers with him from his later convictions.  ???

Judith

PS.  Thanks Debra for the TROVE search tip which is new to me and VERY helpful.

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline FVHS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 06:55 BST (UK) »
Noy1818 - James & Esther Harvey are my 2G Grandparents
3rd child - Fanny Victoria Harvey married William C Selby my
1st G Grandparents.
Looking, 💜 to make a connection, sharing information.
Noy1818 could you provide location of Esther's grave, for when we fly into Melbourne to do a quick visit.
Made contact with Fanny nephew in Sydney last year, through connection  on Genealogysa facebook page.
SELBY - PROCTOR - WILSON - HARVEY - JAMES
BOON - STEVENSON - GALE
BONHAM - GASMIER - CHIRGWIN - COMLEY - ALDER -
BOETTCHER - SCHULZE (SCHULTZE) - HERGOTT -  SCHLUNKE (SCHLUNCKE) - MANGELSDORFF - PAHE (PAHL) - WENDT 
Brick wall - Jeanie Stevenson married James Boon.
born abt. 1865 Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland, United Kingdom died 07 Jan 1929 Colonel Light Gardens, SA.

Offline FVHS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 May 18 13:29 BST (UK) »
Noy1818 - Received your message 10 May - go to send message - have a error coming up - unable to reply to you
BOON - STEVENSON - GALE
BOETTCHER - SCHULZE (SCHULTZE) - HERGOTT -  SCHLUNKE (SCHLUNCKE) - MANGELSDORFF - PAHE (PAHL) - WENDT 
born abt. 1865 Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland, United Kingdom died 07 Jan 1929 Colonel Light Gardens, SA.

Offline FVHS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 May 18 13:33 BST (UK) »
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/rendition/nla.news-article197208620

Age (Melbourne, Vic. : 1854 - 1954), Thursday 28 May 1903, page 10

FUNERAL NOTICES
HARVEY. -The Friends of the late JAMES HARVEY are most respectfully invited to follow his remains to the place of interment, to the Melbourne General Cemetery. The funeral will leave from the residence of Mr. James Ogden, 50 Perry Street, Collingwood, THIS DAY (Thursday), the 28th, at 3 o'clock. W. FERGUSON, Undertaker, Vere and Campbell Street, Collingwood; Read-sheet end St. George's road, North Fitzroy. Telephone 1488

INDEPENDENT ORDER of GOOD TEMPLARS, WORKING BAND LODGE, No. 8 Colling-wood. - The Member of the above Lodge and the Order generally are respectfully requested to follow the remains of our respected Brother, JAMES HARVEY, to the place of interment, the Melbourne General Cemetery. The funeral will leave the residence of his friend, Bro. J. Ogden, No. 50 Perry street, Collingwood, THIS DAY (Thursday), at 3'' o'clock p.m. Regalia. K. BERGLUND, Chief Templaz. H. FEAR, Secretary.
BOON - STEVENSON - GALE