Author Topic: You can be who you want to be ---  (Read 2037 times)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Re: You can be who you want to be ---
« Reply #9 on: Friday 29 January 16 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Your right PF - I can't explain it - so googled and this is interesting! further down the page.

http://royalcentral.co.uk/blogs/insight/why-well-never-see-a-princess-catherine-13573
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 January 16 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Hey, my Aunt always held that she ( none of the rest of us believed her, so perhaps she knew something we all didn't) was related to Robert the Bruce! We must be related....
(There's NO link, I now know for certain .... well, as certain as you can be .... well, not that i can find ... well.....)
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 29 January 16 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Hey, my Aunt always held that she ( none of the rest of us believed her, so perhaps she knew something we all didn't) was related to Robert the Bruce! We must be related....
(There's NO link, I now know for certain .... well, as certain as you can be .... well, not that i can find ... well.....)

Well not yet,  ;).

My dad and uncle both maintained that our family would have been well off if we had not come from.the wrong side of the bedsheets. None of us believed him so I didn't really check.it out. 15 years of searching later I finally found my grt grt Grandfather and it turns out it's  true. We'll as sure as I can. The recorded father dragged through the kirk sessions etc. My 3x grt Grandfather   came from a well off family and got my 3x grt grandmother pregnant while his wife was at home with their young baby.  The wife even made reference to his women and offspring in her will. Ie they were not to get any of her monet.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 29 January 16 17:40 GMT (UK) »
That sounds a whole lot more credible and interesting than any relationship to Robert the Bruce! I'm 200% certain I've NO famous / royal / noble / interesting rellies, on ANY line!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 29 January 16 20:53 GMT (UK) »
That sounds a whole lot more credible and interesting than any relationship to Robert the Bruce! I'm 200% certain I've NO famous / royal / noble / interesting rellies, on ANY line!

Famous last words?  ;D
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 29 January 16 20:58 GMT (UK) »

Famous last words?  ;D

Yep if I had a pound for every time someone said I definitely don't have...............  So much so I now say not that I'm aware of  ;D
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 29 January 16 21:06 GMT (UK) »
I did start a thread a while back on this topic. I used to say, "I don't have any Irish ancestors", and being South Australian said, "I don't have any convicts in my tree".
Wrong, and wrong. When a brickwall came down last year, it turns out in the same line there are Irish forebears, and two separate convicts, both of whom came to SA after their ticket of leave. And then to cap it off, I discovered that my "Scottish" ancestors were actually from Ireland after a generation or two.  ::)
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 29 January 16 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Glad I'm not the only one who was fed fairy stories....when I first started researching my family...my Uncle who was 93 years old at the time told me we were related to Amy Johnson the famous pilot....when I couldn't find a family connection I asked him to elaborate...he then told me we weren't actually related but they lived next door to her and called her parents Aunt and Uncle...... and he went to the same school as her  ::)

We also have the Carrolls from Ireland and he told me that the family were related to Lewis Carroll...on investigation I learned that it was even his real name...just his pen name. ::)

All good fun exploding these myths....glad I never repeated his claims though  ;D

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 29 January 16 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Glad I'm not the only one who was fed fairy stories....when I first started researching my family...my Uncle who was 93 years old at the time told me we were related to Amy Johnson the famous pilot....when I couldn't find a family connection I asked him to elaborate...he then told me we weren't actually related but they lived next door to her and called her parents Aunt and Uncle...... and he went to the same school as her  ::)

We also have the Carrolls from Ireland and he told me that the family were related to Lewis Carroll...on investigation I learned that it was even his real name...just his pen name. ::)

All good fun exploding these myths....glad I never repeated his claims though  ;D

Carol

Just present it as so and so used to claim that.............................. then you're not commenting on the validity of the claim.