Author Topic: Declared Deceased  (Read 1168 times)

Offline Jan_A

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Declared Deceased
« Reply #9 on: Friday 29 January 16 19:50 GMT (UK) »

There is a woman that disappeared here (Pennsylvania USA) in the early 1900s.  She was declared dead to settle the estate.  She has no death certificate and has never been found.  Rumor had it that there was foul play and I got a tip where she may be buried/hidden.  Come spring time I'm going to start a serious effort in finding her if it's true. Granted there won't be much left, but I want her buried with her family and not out in the woods.
Gedmatch kit: A167435

Mum's side: Goss, Stapleton, Dreese, Conner,  Bottenhorn/Bodenhorn, Buterbaugh

Dad's side: Muhl, Junge, Simpson, Keenan, Kirk, Griffin

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 January 16 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Stan and Josey

Would she not have had to produce evidence she could get married again ?

Regards
Moo

No you can sometimes find entries in parish registers such as xxx xxx wife of yyy yyy who has been beyond the seas for upwards of seven year married zzz zzz.

Having to prove things in a modern invention, in the past people were taken at their word.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 29 January 16 21:21 GMT (UK) »
No she would not have to produce any evidence. The registrar and minister accept what they are told by the people getting married. There was no requirement to prove anything, that is the reason for the marriage book in a Register Office, and Banns in a Church, so that the details are available to the public so that any objections to the legality of the proposed marriage can be made.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline EdCan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 29 January 16 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Carry this one step further. What does one who "returns from the dead" have to do to prove he is alive? I have read of people in Canada having a terrible time getting their "death" reversed.
Pickering E Yorkshire, Ontario Can
Tindall Greater London
Edmonds Greater London
Bayliss Greater London
Chappell Somerset
Spencer Warwickshire
Tuck Wiltshire
Tanner Wiltshire