Author Topic: Wall Family. Oldham Mill Workers and Russian Connection  (Read 2008 times)

Offline Quido

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wall Family. Oldham Mill Workers and Russian Connection
« on: Saturday 30 January 16 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Samuel Wall 1818-1875. An Oldham Power Loom Overlooker. Married Isabella Fletcher. 6 children between 1842-1865.
Samuel in 1841/51/71 census, but whole family missing from 1861c.
Their youngest child Hannah born end of 1864 and her preceding sibling Richard b 1862 Russia. His place of birth declared also 1891c.
What could be the possible explanation for this. Totally flummoxed. Hope you can help.
Regards to Everyone.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wall Family. Oldham Mill Workers and Russian Connection
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 January 16 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello
This does strike a bell .I'm sure sometime back there was a query about a Hannah born in Russia ,father Samuel from the Oldham area,1845-65 in Russia.
I'm sure there turned out to be two wives but I can't remember what the surname was.There was the impression that the second bride's family may not have approved of the marriage.

Anyway I found this for Richard.
Richard Wall s of Samuel Wall and Bello Fletcher born 17.2.1862 baptised 3.3.1862 at British chaplaincy St Petersburg.
So they went to St Petersburg.

He's not the only Wall there
Mary Rose Margaret Wall d of William Wall and Sophia Margarete West  was born 7.5.1846 bapt 31.8.1846 and her brothers Prosper William Wall 6.1.1838/6.3.1838.and Edmund Francis 17.4.1840/26.5.1840
The parents had married there 6.3.1837.The details are available to view at a Familysearch/Church of Latter Day Saints  Library.
I'd bet William was an older brother of Samuel and he followed him out there.

There's a grave for Prosper Wall in St Petersburg on Findagrave.com
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=150901709&ref=acom

The Spassky Cotton Mills opened in the suburbs of St Petersburg in 1838.Apparently De Jersey and Company of Manchester had works out there as did the Eggerton Hubbard and Coy Company and it's possible that Samuel and William worked for a company who set up a factory in Russia and needed skilled workers to run things.

It's not really by area but there does seem to be quite a little community of English workers living in St Petersburg from the Manchester area in the 1840's to 1860's.
If you check the 1881 census there are quite a few people born in the 1860's in Russia who have returned to Lancashire.

There was a Britsih Factory in St Petersburg from 1723 and it had a chapel attached for the workers.I'm assuming that's were Richard Wall was baptised.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Quido

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 January 16 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Ciderdrinker . . . . this makes  an awful lot of sense and takes me on a whole new   tack.
If I get stuck I hope I can come back to you.
Hugely grateful . . . , Rootschat does it again.!!!
Warm Regards.

Offline cat1968

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 September 19 13:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Samuel Wall 1818-1875. An Oldham Power Loom Overlooker. Married Isabella Fletcher. 6 children between 1842-1865.
Samuel in 1841/51/71 census, but whole family missing from 1861c.
Their youngest child Hannah born end of 1864 and her preceding sibling Richard b 1862 Russia. His place of birth declared also 1891c.
What could be the possible explanation for this. Totally flummoxed. Hope you can help.
Regards to Everyone.

Hi There,
I came across this post whilst researching my  'Wall family' and Samuel Wall is my 5th Great Uncle. Samuel Married Isabella Fletcher 16th Jan 1842 Prestwich,St Mary, Lancashire, England.
Richard Wall is my 4th Great Grandfather, Richard is Samuel Wall's Brother.
Cook,Palmer,Thomson,Welch,Fawell,Craven,Armit,Mill,Perks,Welsh,Cockburn,Cathie,Mclaren ,Smith,Williamson,Adamson,Geachie
Farmer,Blyth,Kerr,Wallace,Arnott,Walker,Rae
Caldwell,Beveridge,Hughes,Penman,Leitch,Morris, Pottie, Paterson,Payne, Porter,Ramsay, Reid,Robertson,Sim, Stark,  Hall,Stenhouse,Johnstone,Nish,Smart,Anderson, Adams,Simpson,Stevens,Stewart,Stoker,Taylor,Todd,
Forsyth,Elder,Davidson,Dawson,Deer,Dodds,Donelly,Duff,Duncan,Dunn,Donachie,Craig,Cormie,

Offline tancor2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 April 21 15:14 BST (UK) »
So it looks like the connection was due to working in the cotton mill, she will be pleased that we
 have found out why he was there.
I think that his son who died in St Petersburg most have stayed on when the rest of the family returned to Rochdale, because all other family members died in Rochdale.
Thanks will send her the information it may not be her family but the story of why the Healey family were their will be the same

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 April 21 16:26 BST (UK) »
Tancor2, did you intend to post your reply on the thread you began about the Healey family who went to St. Petersburg?  https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=847829.0
Cowban

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 April 21 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Maiden Stone,
I sent a pm yesterday  and it was then posted in the right place but hasn’t been deleted.  :)
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk