Author Topic: The 'Charlotte Jane' and Elizabeth Smith  (Read 1254 times)

Offline Ande

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
The 'Charlotte Jane' and Elizabeth Smith
« on: Monday 01 February 16 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I'm hoping you may be able to help me.

I have an Elizabeth Smith who married into my Benjamin Thorpe line. They married 15 Sep 1853, at St George Church, Gawler, South Australia. I happen to know that Elizabeth's sister, Margaret Smith, also married at the same church in Gawler. She married Henry Worthington on the 18 Jun, also in 1853. I haven't really hunted for Margaret at all as I don't know enough about her yet.

This is part of the marriage record between Elizabeth and Benjamin.
Spouse's first name(s)    Elizabeth
Spouse's last name    Smith
Spouse's marital status    Single/Spinster
Spouse's age    19
Spouse's birth year    1834

Elizabeth Smith, now Thorpe, died in Port Lincoln, SA, 1 May 1909. In the 'Register' newspaper on the 8th of May 1909 it states "Mrs. Elizabeth Thorpe, a resident of the district for 46 years, died at the age of 75. The deceased came to South Australia by the ship Charlotte Jane in 1848, and passed through many interesting episodes of the early life on the west coast,, She has left three sons (Messrs. T. J. and H Thorpe), and a daughter (Mrs. Bernard, of Port Lincoln)."

Another obituary states:
Chronicle (Adelaide, SA : 1895 - 1954)
Saturday 15 May 1909
Another old identily died on Satur day night, namely, Mrs. Elizabeth Thorpe, at Ravendale, of heart failure. The deceased was 76 years old, and was a colonist of 64 years, having resided in the district 45 years.

Well, if she was to be on the ship 'Charlotte Jane' in 1848, it would make her in her teens, approx 14. I can't seem to find any such passenger list. Unfortunately I don't know the name of the parents, they are not shown on her marriage or her sister's.

A 'Charlotte Jane' ship did come to Sydney in 1848 and there were two Eliza Smiths on it, but one was 6 and I think the other 26. The ages don't add up.

I thought the 'Charlotte Jane' might have come direct to South Australia, but can't seem to find any records to match that either, at least not for 1848. The only potential one I have found is in 1852 where it has an Elizabeth Smith, age 17, a dairy maid coming from Donegal, Ireland (http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/charlottejane1852.shtml).

What do you think? Is the 1852 ship more likely? And if so, how will I ever track an Elizabeth Smith in Donegal without a solid birthdate or parents? Should I be looking in other states of Australia to find an arrival?
Thanks kindly for any help/advice.
JONES, HALL, CHACE, WRIGHT, CROCKER, NEPEAN, LAWRANCE, THORPE, ELLIOT, MORAN, all in South Australia. STÄRKE, SCHOLZ/SHOLZ in Prussia and South Australia. WATERS, FOWLER, INCE, MEARS, LLOYD, TRUSTER and COOPER in England (mainly Surrey). FRANKORT, LEUNISSEN, MUIJRERS, BROURERS, GORISSEN, DAMOISEAUX and LAHAYE/LAHIAJE in Limburg, Netherlands.

Offline ScobieDrom

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The 'Charlotte Jane' and Elizabeth Smith
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 February 16 11:37 GMT (UK) »
There is an Elizabeth Smith who arrived aboard the ship "Charlotte Jane" into Port Adelaide, South Australia 14 January 1852 aged 20 years.  Source:  http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/charlottejane1852.shtml

Offline Ande

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 February 16 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Oh yes, good spotting. I see there is a married Elizabeth Smith (husband Laurence) aged 20 on that passenger list. I doubt mine would be coming over with a husband only to marry a year later in 1853, though.
JONES, HALL, CHACE, WRIGHT, CROCKER, NEPEAN, LAWRANCE, THORPE, ELLIOT, MORAN, all in South Australia. STÄRKE, SCHOLZ/SHOLZ in Prussia and South Australia. WATERS, FOWLER, INCE, MEARS, LLOYD, TRUSTER and COOPER in England (mainly Surrey). FRANKORT, LEUNISSEN, MUIJRERS, BROURERS, GORISSEN, DAMOISEAUX and LAHAYE/LAHIAJE in Limburg, Netherlands.

Offline ScobieDrom

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 February 16 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Oh yes, good spotting. I see there is a married Elizabeth Smith (husband Laurence) aged 20 on that passenger list. I doubt mine would be coming over with a husband only to marry a year later in 1853, though.

Agree it seems a slim chance, but, you never know what may have happened after the couple arrived.  Until it is disproved it is still a possible.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 February 16 13:13 GMT (UK) »
In the SA Marriage Index, Status S = Single and is used for both bride and groom.  So Elizabeth was a single when she married in 1853.

Fathers of the bride and groom were not recorded in South Australia until post 1856.

As both the brides were minors, someone would have had to give consent for the marriages to take place.   Perhaps a parent was a witness. 

How you know that Margaret was Elizabeth's sister as there are many SMITH female marriages at St Georges Church, Gawler in the 1850's.

THORPE Benjamin  30 years  Status Single  Father unrecorded.
SMITH Elizabeth  19 years  Status Single  Father unrecorded
16 Sep 1853
At St George Church Gawler   Ade 16/96

WORTHINGTON Henry  29 years  Status Single  Father unrecorded
SMITH Margaret  17 years  Status Single  Father unrecorded
28 Jun 1853
At St George Church Gawler   Ade  16/93

The information in obituaries is often far from accurate.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ande

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 February 16 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Ah, I knew I forgot to include something. THIS is how I know they are sisters:
Adelaide Observer (SA : 1843 - 1904)
Saturday 18 May 1872 Next issue
Previous page Page 16 of 16
IF this should meet the Eye of ELIZABETH THORP, last heard of at Port Lincoln, her SISTER MARGARET is very anxious to know where a letter would find her.
M. WORTHINGTON, O. B. Flat,
139-53 Mount Gambier, South Australia

I did not know that, about the girls needing permission as they were minors. Are witnesses included on the original certificates for SA? I haven't ordered a certificate before as they are out of my price range.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 February 16 00:00 GMT (UK) »
I haven't ordered a certificate before as they are out of my price range.

Have you considered a transcription from Graham Jaunay or GenealogySA?

http://www.jaunay.com/transcription.html

https://www.genealogysa.org.au/quick-links/research-enquiry-02.html

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk