Author Topic: Keeping it all synchonised  (Read 570 times)

Offline andydadswell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Keeping it all synchonised
« on: Monday 01 February 16 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Since recently restarting my research into my family history I have one nagging thought.

How do I keep everything synchonised ?

Like many people my predominant tools for research have been the FTM/Ancestry combination which gives me synchonisation (for the time being anyway), but I have also loaded Gedcoms taken from this source and loaded them on to other sites (My Heritage & Familysearch).

Most sites now have 'helpful' hints to point your research into examining potential matches, so if I suddenly make a big discovery/link on My Heritage, how do I get that discovery reflected in FTM/Ancestry. On a single day I may make discoveries on Ancestry, Familysearch and My Heritage each discovery being added to the tree on that website, but that leaves me with the dilemma that I now have 3 trees all of which say something different.

I suppose that I'm looking for a magic bullet process that would give me a 'Single Source of Truth' that I can use to keep all of my online trees in sync with my 'One Truth' database. 

Has anyone given this any thought and come up with a solution.

Andy

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping it all synchonised
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 February 16 13:16 GMT (UK) »
I simply manually transfer them on to my other trees at the time I update the one with the hint.  Haven't yet found a way of synchronising between different unrelated programmes.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire