Author Topic: Margaret Rowley and Henry Andrews  (Read 1073 times)

Offline giddeygirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret Rowley and Henry Andrews
« on: Tuesday 02 February 16 05:48 GMT (UK) »
Any information about Margaret Rowley and Henry Andrews welcome.
Margaret Rowley married Henry Andrews on 31 May 1851 in St Michael's Church in the Parish of Wollongong, County of Camden, NSW, Australia. MC NSW BDM 399 Vol 37B 1851. Consent: The Governor. Minister: M.D. Meares, Chaplain. Witnesses: Thomas Bateman and Samuel Parke.

What does "Consent: The Governor" mean? Could either party be a convict or the child of one?

Was this Margaret Rowley the daughter of Bridget Byrne, convict sent to NSW with two children?

Many thanks.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Rowley and Henry Andrews
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 06:51 GMT (UK) »
Henry ANDREW, aged 19, convicted Southampton, England, arrived per Norfolk in 1837, and assigned to the Australian Agricultural Co, Port Stephens.  (Muster December 1837

Henry ANDREWS, Ticket of Leave 45/532.  Allowed to remain in the District of Port Stephens, trial at Southampton Assizes, per the Norfolk 1837.    See Reel 956 at State Records.

1847 Henry ANDREWS, Ticket of Leave 47/145 allowed to remain in the District of Wollongong, trial Southampton Assizes, per Norfolk 1837, Reel 960 NSW SRO. 

So, perhaps Henry needed the consent of the NSW Governor to marry, as he was still under a sentence of a civil court.  (see next post re his Conditional Pardon). 

Cheers,  JM  (edited to add words after "to marry" )
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 06:54 GMT (UK) »
Henry ANDREWS 1 December 1851, Conditional Pardon.  Reel 795.  ex Norfolk 1837.  CP #51/418

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline giddeygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 07:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Thank you so much. So quick! Did you find these in a library or at home, on the internet? Which database are they on, please? NSW govt?
Thanks again.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 07:26 GMT (UK) »
NSW State Records Office http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/collection-search

I understand that several commercial websites have current partnership arrangements with NSW State Records, and that some of the convict records have been uploaded to at least Ancestry and Find My Past.

There is also a not for profit database, a fairly new one, Biographical Database of Australia.  The is a nominal subscription fee for that organisation. 

http://www.bda-online.org.au/

I am very NSW centric and have a long involvement in NSW social and family history research, back prior to the internet, and to the popularity of the hobby family history. 

Cheers,  JM

Offline giddeygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 07:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that.
I've now had a look at Ancestry and can see many of the convict records relating to Henry.
We heard in the family that Miss Andrews came from Scotland, but that seems to be not the case. I wonder if Margaret is the daughter of Bridget, but wonder why they have different names (see convict Bridget Byrne). Intriguing and mystifying, but rather fun, indeed.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Re Margaret Rowley

You may need to research all the lasses known as Bridget BYRNE (and the various spelling variations) to sort out who Margaret was, or perhaps there's no connection to Bridget BYRNE at all.

BYRNE/BRYNE/BRIEN,BYRNES/BRYNES/BARNE/BARNES/OBRIEN, etc etc.
BRIDGET/BRIDGID/BRIGETT/BRIGOT/ etc

Cheers,  JM