Author Topic: The Times wants your views: DNA ethnicity results  (Read 57749 times)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
Re: The Times wants your views: DNA ethnicity results
« Reply #306 on: Tuesday 27 December 16 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bill, and welcome.

This seems to be the thread where you may share ancestors with someone:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=35068.msg6130595#msg6130595

If there is someone in this particular discussion thread (about DNA ethnicity results) who seems to be related, you can now click on that person's name and send them a private message (since you have made the 3 posts that are needed for that). Otherwise it's not likely that anybody reading this thread will know what you're referring to.

You can send private messages to people in that McNamara thread as well, and also to anyone in the Waterford thread where you posted:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=408893.msg6130596#msg6130596
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline Adrian Stevenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: Tuesday 27 December 16 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Here are my Ancestry results.

From previous SNP testing I know that I am Haplogroup I M253/ sub type S246 (Z59) and MTDNA T2C1.

Cheers, Ade,
Stevensons of Ruddington. Haplogroup  I FCG24357. MT Haplogroup T2c1. GedMatch number T419829

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 9 brig. Royal Fusiliers War Diary (large portion)
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: Monday 05 June 17 00:50 BST (UK) »
Hi:  I had a request from someone on here about me taking a DNA test - it was in 2016 - hadn't been on the website for ages so have only just seen it.
It says somewhere that it is particularly good for getting information for folk who were adopted - I don't quite understand the logic of that - if you don't know who your natural parents were and they are deceased anyway - what good would it do?

Sue

PS I don't get notifications on my E-mail that there is anything on here for me - is there I can get alerts?
ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: Monday 05 June 17 01:11 BST (UK) »
I am an adoptee, and I found out who my birth father was through DNA testing.  He passed away when I was 2 years old, but his half-sister and a cousin of his had tested with Ancestry.  They showed as matches to me, we exchanged messages, and we were able to figure out the connection from there.  I knew from my non-identifying information that my birth father was a college student at the time of my birth and I had a description of his hair & eye color, height, and ethnic heritage.  It turned out that the man we suspected attended the same university that I knew my birth mother went to, and all the other information I had fit.

My birth father's fraternal twin tested after that, and he showed as a "close relative" (which included uncle) to me.  That basically confirmed our suspicions.

Through Facebook groups and newspaper articles, I know of many adoptees who have had success with using DNA. 

Offline chinka

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: Monday 05 June 17 06:11 BST (UK) »
Hi you can match with close relatives thus work out your family origins.Lots of people have found their birth families  by dna matches.An acquaintance of mine  who was adopted at birth has found her birth mother & recently found close matches to her fathers family.So dna testing can give you info on your genetic background.

Offline RobertCasey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Irish research - specially R-L226 (Dal Cais)
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 15:33 BST (UK) »
According to the FTDNA atDNA test, I am:

British Isles (38 %)
West and Central Europe (36 %)
Scandinavia (24 %)

According to my surnames for my well proven 30 ancestors (based on forebearers.io) my actual
mixture is:

English (85 %)
Irish (6 %)
Netherlands (3 %)
Germany (3 %)
Switzerland (3 %)
Casey - Tipperary or Clare, Ireland
Kelly - Ireland
Brooks, Bryan, Shelton (2), Harper, Williamson - England
Tucker, Arrington, Stevenson, Shears, Jarvis - England
Hill (2), Reed, Olliff, Jackson, Potter, Cruse, Charlton - England
Davis. Martin, Ellison, Woodward, Alderson - England
Pace - Shropshire, England
Revier - Netherlands
Messer - Germany
Wininger - Switzerland

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 9 brig. Royal Fusiliers War Diary (large portion)
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 23:46 BST (UK) »
I am sorry to say that despite all I have read on here I cannot see how it is relevant to someone who doesn't know who they are exactly because of adoption.
My husband has been asked by an eager American to have his DNA done - he flatly refuses and maintains that DNA continues to mean (for him) "DO NOT ASK!"   Sue
ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: Thursday 08 June 17 00:27 BST (UK) »
Was there something about my story that was confusing?  There are many people who have done what I did - take an autosomal DNA test, get matched to relatives, and work out possible candidates for the unknown parent from there.  In some cases, it takes some genealogical digging to work back to possible mutual (however many times great)-grandparents.  Luckily, mine didn't.

This site gives a pretty straightforward explanation about how DNA testing can help adoptees - http://www.dna-testing-adviser.com/AdoptionSearch.html 

I can't even count how many newspaper articles/TV shows I've seen detailing adoptees successfully finding biological relatives this way.  Here's one - https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/social-issues/dnas-new-miracle-how-adoptees-are-using-online-registries-to-find-their-blood-relatives/2016/10/12/10433fec-8c48-11e6-bf8a-3d26847eeed4_story.html?utm_term=.00431e70ef9e

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: Thursday 08 June 17 02:05 BST (UK) »
I guess Sue and her husband just don't understand what it can mean to someone to identify their birth family, even somewhat distantly related members. Sometimes even especially if their birth parents are deceased. I know that when my mum dies (my dad is deceased already), I will be very glad that I have siblings and cousins still.

Everyone here is interested in their family origins and their ancestors, and enjoys finding out who they were and researching their lives. Some can't imagine what it is like not to know where to begin in that search.

If I'm keen to find out who my greatx6 grandparents were and where they lived and what kind of lives they had, why would an adopted person not be just as keen to learn about the people from whom they descend?  ???

I can't imagine not helping someone do that if I were asked. I have only done YDNA testing of two male relatives, to try to solve a couple of genealogical mysteries, but if someone searching for birth family found a match with them, I would gladly do autosomal testing myself if it would help.

Even if an adoptee isn't able to find out exactly who their birth father and mother were, they can sometimes identify someone who is closely enough related to say that they share, say, great-grandparents. For someone interested in genealogy, that is important information for research. For someone who wants to know their family, that can be as personally important, depending on the people who are found, as finding a parent or sibling.

I have helped many people over the years, on the internet, find the parent they never knew, and many have found that they have an extended family who welcomes them. I don't know why using DNA to do that would seem any different from using the electoral roll.

(Sue/Dean1: there should be a 'notify' button to click at the bottom of the list of messages. Mine says 'unnotify' so I presume I clicked 'notify' at some time.)
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?