Author Topic: Merchant Seaman C Tyne  (Read 1318 times)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Merchant Seaman C Tyne
« on: Tuesday 02 February 16 16:29 GMT (UK) »
If this is posted in the wrong place apoligies and please move.

What information about the person who is listed on this can be found.  I am hoping it is either my grandfather or ggrandfather as they were both merchant seamen.  Any help greatly appreciated.
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Seaman C Tyne
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
This shows the incomplete CR2 card for C Tyne who was a Fireman (engine-room rating) with a date of engagement aboard SS CERAMIC on 11/1/1937.
Normally those seamen who were still serving during WW2 would have these cards transferred into the Fifth Register of Seamen contained in files BT 372 and BT 382 at Kew. If he did not serve during WW2 then that card may be the only surviving record.

So you could check files in BT 382 at Kew, i can give you the reference for this should you wish. You could also check the crew agreement for CERAMIC for the year 1937 which is held at Kew in piece BT 100/501. This would also give his previous ship.

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 13:55 GMT (UK) »

At least one of my C Tyne's served in WWII I have a medal card issued to merchant seamen for Charles William Beecham and was wondering if this was him or perhaps his father who is also Charles William and was also a merchant seaman.

Is it easy to access the records as I am in South Africa and was hoping it can be accessed via the internet...?
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Charles William Beecham Tyne has a Discharge No S.44487 which is different from the Discharge No of 762602 for the CR2 card for C. Tyne. Normally a seaman would only have one Discharge No during his time in the MN although there were occassions when a new one would be issued and the old one cancelled. The person described in the card marked C. Tyne would have joined the MN before Charles William Beecham Tyne who saw service in WW2.

Regarding searching online for records. It would be best to visit the National Archives in Kew rather than try to obtain any records online as they would be quite expensive. If that is not an option a private researcher is the way to go.

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 19:37 GMT (UK) »

Thanks for that, so it is likely this is not my C.Tyne. 

A visit to the archives is not possible as I am in South Africa and a private researcher would be out of the question with the exchange rate at around 20/1 ::)

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 20:48 GMT (UK) »
I have seen one of the record cards for a merchant seaman  and it has a section for description (eye colour, height, distinguishing marks)  If you find those pages on your "Tynes"   you will probably be able to detect differences.  It was common for merchant seamen to have tattoos.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 20:53 GMT (UK) »

Interesting...............

Wonder if he had any and what they were

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 21:00 GMT (UK) »

Interesting...............

Wonder if he had any and what they were
  Search  for form  CR1
on the man listed above in your original Post.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 22:11 GMT (UK) »

Search  for form  CR1
on the man listed above in your original Post.

There isn't one I am afraid.

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO