Author Topic: Daniel GORMAN, Dromara  (Read 3807 times)

Offline helenmcasmith

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Daniel GORMAN, Dromara
« on: Wednesday 03 February 16 20:59 GMT (UK) »
It pays to keep revisiting newspaper archives online as more and more papers are added each day.  I have now found my Daniel GORMAN who was a surgeon in Glasgow, but he came from Dromara according to his death notice (attached).  I am hoping therefore, that he married (Margret?) in Dromara before coming over to Glasgow so any help appreciated from those local to the area.
Baillie; Laurie; Gordon/Gorman; Quinn; Erskine; Duncan

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel GORMAN, Dromara
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 21:02 GMT (UK) »
RC registers re online... registers.nli.ie
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 February 16 06:32 GMT (UK) »
Nothing specific on your man, but just to note a few references to Gormans of Dromara here, including mention of those from Moybrick and Levallyreagh (forenames include Hugh and Daniel):

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/G/Go.htm

The PRONI Will Calendars have several entries for Gormans from Levallyreagh, Griffiths Valuation shows two Gormans from Moybrick and Levallyreagh and Gormans are still in Levallyreagh by the time of the 1901 Ireland census.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 February 16 07:49 GMT (UK) »
In Pigot and co.'s national commercial directory of Scotland, 1837 he is not marked as a member of 'The Glasgow College' (of Surgeons?) so probably not trained there?

Daniel Gorman 144 Bridgegate, Glasgow.
https://books.google.co.nz/books?id=0ecNAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA604&dq=doctor+daniel+gorman+glasgow&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjN_NfJzd3KAhXKEpQKHXykCYUQ6AEIKjAD#v=onepage&q=doctor%20daniel%20gorman%20glasgow&f=false

Was he in Glasgow from 1829?
Scottish Post Office Directories > Towns > Glasgow > 1828-1912 - Post-Office annual Glasgow directory > 1829-1830
GORMAN, Daniel, surgeon, Reid street, Bridgeton
http://digital.nls.uk/83786885

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 February 16 08:45 GMT (UK) »
You've posted on Antrim rather than Down board- just click on 'report to moderator' and ask for this thread to be moved to the correct place. Also, have a look at the stickied topics at the top of the Down board for more resources.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 February 16 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen, from http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/down/tithe-applotment-books/dromara-parish.php#.VrTpc8d6E5Q

Gorman, Domnick Townland: Aughnaskeagh Year: 1828
Gorman, John Townland: Aughnaskeagh Year: 1828
Gorman, Patrick Townland: Livallyreagh Year: 1828
Gorman, Patt. Townland: Levallyreagh Year: 1828

Geographically Levallyreagh townland is just to the south west of Dromara itself and going further westwards, you pass through Moybrick before reaching Aughnaskeagh. From the furthest western point to Dromara is 3 miles at most.

Original Tithe  booksbooks in Belfast PRONI visitors only access, the tithes are known to be incomplete, and the originals don’t show relatives etc will give more detail about the land  quality good or poor for taxation purposes.  However getting mature list of occupiers gives likely parents etc   
Church records Ros davies gives them all,  Church of ireland buried all denomination, burial book might be in existence ask rector. More likely is St. Michael the Archangel Catholic Church formerly Church of Sacred Heart c. 1886 in Finnis townlandon the road between Rathfriland & Dromara...... The graveyard dates from middle of 18th century with the oldest stone 1767. Up till 1820, some Catholic families buried their dead in St.John's Church of Ireland graveyard in Dromara. The graveyard was levelled in 1959 & a new entrance and pathways made in 1973.............Records http://registers.nli.ie/ has registers to view 1844-1882; PRONI, NLI & LDS have baptisms, marriages & burials 1844-1880;UHF has baptisms & marriages 1844-1900, graveyard attached, gravestones UHF Vol 19 ; email me Ros Davies for a gravestone look-up. That might be well worthwhile.

PRONI has church records on microfilm plus lots more
Personally I get pleasure looking up the griffiths valuation maps on askabout ireland where you will see the Aughnaskeagh Road running ewest out of ````dromara and abit further south the MoyBrick Road running through Levallyreagh. Then at the last minute having identified plot numbers location switch to modern google nad goto street level scenes and travel the roads through yopur homestead county from the your desk.

have fun  JimG
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline helenmcasmith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 February 16 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for all these wonderful replies.  I was so excited to find SOMETHING relating to Daniel as I have people in Australia also stuck at this point.  As his death appeared in an Irish newspaper (and I can find nothing in the Glasgow papers, despite him being a doctor there) I will check in case he was buried elsewhere, but it is unlikely as his widow stayed on in Bridgegate and appears as a midwife in subsequent Post Office directories at the same address.  Nearly all their children died (again - no trace) apart from Hugh, who appears on the 1861 census with his widowed mother in Manchester.  I'll try and find his marriage to Margaret (which was probably before they left Ireland I think).  I have a blog on what I have so far. http://gormanfamilytree.blogspot.co.uk/
Baillie; Laurie; Gordon/Gorman; Quinn; Erskine; Duncan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 February 16 21:45 GMT (UK) »
A death notice might have also appeared in a Glasgow or Scottish paper but not all old newspapers are indexed or online.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 March 16 09:48 GMT (UK) »
His Scottish death certificate should have his parents' names on it.
Rosemary Joan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)