« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 17:30 GMT (UK) »
William Furbish

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shaw
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 18:29 GMT (UK) »
If you google Samuel Shaw Crandon there is a lot of information about him. He is described as the "father of Crandon". His biography states he was born 25 November 1842 in Kirkpatrick village in the lowlands of Scotland and came to the United States in the summer of 1852. He was clearly a driven man and highly successful.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Shaw Clingan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 20:45 GMT (UK) »
The Samuel Shaw I talk about died in Scotland. Is Samuel Shaw Crandon related.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 20:57 GMT (UK) »
I think he is the Samuel Shaw I quoted in the 1860 US census with Mary Bennet and probably her illegitimate son. His occupation is teacher. You can follow him in the further censuses. I think he is the Samuel McGuffie recorded as grandson of Samuel and Nicholas Shaw in the 1851 census in Kirkpatrick Durham.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Shaw Clingan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 04:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you

Offline Shaw Clingan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 05:06 GMT (UK) »
Just found a hard to read newspaper article on Mary Bennett from Oct.18, 1898 that said of her death and estate. Dealing with that all creditors to be present. Says all claims and demands against her will be received, examined and adjusted before the court, courthouse in the city of Oshkosh. On the application of Samuel Shaw, administrator of the estate of Mary Bennett,late of the city of Oshkosh,in said county, deceased, no one having required the appointment of commissioners on said estate.
This article was for probate in the matter of the estate of Mary Bennett.
Had hard time reading it, not the original article from regular paper. Oshkosh Northwestern

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 10:44 GMT (UK) »
I think a possible scenario is that his sisters Mary and Janet (note various spellings of her name) and Mary's son Samuel travelled to Wisconsin before James , probably in 1852. Mary married a Mr Bennett and Janet married Henry Poppy.

Page 1773 of the History of Wisconsin has this regarding Henry and Janet's son

Henry Poppy (known as Harry)  "... was one of the actual pioneers of Forest County....his first work as a pioneer settler in this vicinity was for his cousin Samuel Shaw in clearing a little farm... Harry Poppy was born at Oshkosh Wisconsin May 10 1858, a  son of Henry and Jenette (Shaw) Poppy. His father was born in England and his mother in Scotland and they were married after coming to America."

Henry Poppy senior died in 1890 and Janet Shaw Poppy d April 13 1908 in New London. You can find their graves on Find a Grave. Isn't google wonderful!

William

Offline Shaw Clingan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Millmoor
I found a tree for Poppy and Jeanette Shaw last night and was wondering about it but think you cleared it up.Thank you. On this Poppy sight it lists Samuel Shaw and Mary(unknown) with children: Mary, Margaret, James and Jeanette. Says Jeanette W. Shaw. Found the graves. . born 1827 Kirkcubbright. No one seems to know much about Samuel's wife Mary. These are records I wish I could find in Scotland but looked on some census and could not find the family. Wonder if I am doing it wrong. I wonder what the W for Jeanette means.