Author Topic: Shaw  (Read 11186 times)

Offline Shaw Clingan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shaw
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Millmoor
I went through a 1893 Oshkosh Wi. directory and found Mary Bennett, widow of James, residing at 90 Harney. Also Bennett Sisters,residing at 347 Main,selling notions and dry goods. Names with this place are Jennie M Bennett and Martha B. Bennett. Also Sarah Bennett, widow of Richard, residing at 347 Main. Wonder if this is the Mary Bennett from the Shaw family. What do you think?

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Very difficult to say if the Mary Bennett in the directory is the correct one. The last record I can see for her is the 1880 census where her address is given as East  Pearl Street. ( I don't have your local knowledge !).

Re Henry Poppy senior. He left a will which is on Ancestry and again is very detailed. James Shaw and William Shaw are named in it.
I think all the evidence that has now been provided for you shows that the parents of James, Mary and Janet Shaw(as well as Margaret who I cannot locate after her marriage) were Samuel Shaw and Nicholas Laing. I feel that Nicholas was also known as Mary - the only other possible explanation is that she was a stepmother (ie Samuel's second wife).

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline matt muir

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 11 February 16 00:59 GMT (UK) »
Re Post No 35   I have just entered the photo of the headstone for Samuel Shaw onto Find A Grave,

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Shaw&GSiman=1&GScid=2406466&GRid=158024640&

Also please amend the age of death for Nicholas from 68 to 78 years.
Matt.
Muir,McDill/Dill,Payne,Hepburn,Ireland,Rae all in Kirkcudbrightshire.
Cotter,Liddane,Gibson all in Co Clare,Ireland.

My avatar is my G/Father--Name not known !

Offline Shaw Clingan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 11 February 16 04:19 GMT (UK) »
Hopefully some could let me know if this is the correct Samuel and Nicholas Shaw, I feel it is because their is a Grace Laing on 1861 census for Samuel, Nicholas, and a Grace Laing age 18,says niece on record. Shows Samuel age 74 and Nicholas age 70. On 1841 census says Robert Laing age 40 with William 7, Grace 2 and Mary 10.Address is Bridge House,county Ayrshire.

Offline Shaw Clingan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 11 February 16 04:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Matt

Offline Shaw Clingan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 11 February 16 04:26 GMT (UK) »
Also have 1861 census for Samuel Shaw 1787 with Nicholas on it and he is listed as retired farmer.
Said he was born Balmaclellan. This is same as Matt has for cemetery picture.

Offline Shaw Clingan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 11 February 16 04:39 GMT (UK) »
Needed to say that all this information is so great I and am so thankful for the people who are helping in this. My mom asked me to do some more history on the Shaw family. She is 91 years old. She found the information I started out with from my grandmother when she passed. She  will be so over joyed when she sees what I have now because of beautiful people who are helping on this site.

Offline Shaw Clingan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 11 February 16 04:40 GMT (UK) »
sorry for any misspelling or extra words that do not belong in a sentence. My computer is old and buttons stick

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 11 February 16 08:27 GMT (UK) »
Had some credits for SP - here is the information from Samuel Shaw's death certificate

Samuel Shaw retired farmer married to Nicholas Laing died 1865 18th May at 7 am at Crocketford age 82 Parents Samuel Shaw shepherd deceased and Janet Shaw maiden surname Gibson deceased Cause of death senile decay not certified no medical attendant Informant William Crinie (surname difficult to make out) neighbour present.

There is something written beside the age of 82 years but I cannot make it out .

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)