Author Topic: Henry Davy/Davey death circa 1852 Australia? (possibly SA, VIC or NSW)  (Read 15365 times)

Offline Spike H

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Davy/Davey death circa 1852 Australia? (possibly SA, VIC or NSW)
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 07 February 16 06:47 GMT (UK) »
There is a death of a William Henry Luke in 1872

Event Death

Event registration number 8440

Registration year 1872

LUKE 
William Henry
I think he may have been born in 1869 to different parents
UK: Lee, Swift
CON: Davey, Harding, Hocking, Rule, Whinnen
AUST: McIntosh

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 07 February 16 06:49 GMT (UK) »
:) Thanks Spike.
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 07 February 16 06:59 GMT (UK) »
A LUKE William H arrived in SA 24 Sep 1847 aboard RAJAH from London via Plymouth 28 May 1847.

The link to the manifest at SLSA from Bound for South Australia [Di Cummins] website no longer works and I don't have the CD :(

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 07 February 16 07:05 GMT (UK) »
The death of the man of that name in NZ describes him as a native of Cornwall aged 58

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=TT18880630.2.5&srpos=1&e=-------10--1----2william+henry+luke--

This death for a Mary Ann , wife of William Henry LUKE requests Victorian papers to copy.

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=TT18780720.2.4&srpos=2&e=-------10--1----2%22william+henry+luke%22--

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 07 February 16 07:11 GMT (UK) »
Henry + Mary Ann had five daughters the last one Martha Davey in 1851 in Adelaide

You have no proof of this event.  No registration however do you have an actual date in 1851?

Adding to my comment about civil registrations.....many births were not registered in SA especially in rural areas.  I note that Mary Ann SMITH's birth registration on 27 Sep 1850 was at Reedy Creek which is in the South East of SA.  Perhaps the family was en route to Victoria.

I have just found an online tree which has the date of marriage in Victoria and no parents listed  for either of the bride or groom.  Of course the date may have copied from another tree. 

juliaanna do you have your tree online?

Cando

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 07 February 16 07:50 GMT (UK) »
Adding to my comment about civil registrations.....many births were not registered in SA especially in rural areas.  I note that Mary Ann SMITH's birth registration on 27 Sep 1850 was at Reedy Creek which is in the South East of SA.  Perhaps the family was en route to Victoria.

Cando

Also Reedy Creek mine at Tungkillo from the 1840s so if Henry was a miner then births there were recorded in the Adelaide registration district.  Mary Ann's reg. in 1850 was Ade / 3/110

From 1860 onwards Reedy Creek was in Talunga or Nairne districts.

Essie

Offline Spike H

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 07 February 16 08:27 GMT (UK) »
Obit for Christina Mary BLOXHAM
http://tinyurl.com/jd74adj

She married Henry BLOXHAM in Vic in 1864 (#2676) so the bit about the daughters going to NZ with their mother seems not completely correct, although the trees suggest they all died there. And it seems odd to me that none of Mary Ann's children were mentioned in her death notice.

Christina had 18 children (all but one survived)!!
UK: Lee, Swift
CON: Davey, Harding, Hocking, Rule, Whinnen
AUST: McIntosh

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 07 February 16 08:39 GMT (UK) »

Cando

Also Reedy Creek mine at Tungkillo from the 1840s so if Henry was a miner then births there were recorded in the Adelaide registration district.  Mary Ann's reg. in 1850 was Ade / 3/110

From 1860 onwards Reedy Creek was in Talunga or Nairne districts.

Essie

To confuse things further..... :)

In July 1842 the colony was effectively divided into two District Registries based on Port Lincoln and Adelaide headed by District Registrars answerable to the Principal Registrar in Adelaide.

A good summary of districts and periods and it would appear that the subdivisions didn't commence until 1855/56 onwards.  In 1850 and 1852 Adelaide registration district covered all districts north, south and east of Adelaide. 

http://www.jaunay.com/districts.html

Cando

Offline juliaanna1701

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 07 February 16 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone,

Yes I do have my tree online - ancestry.com.au 'best edwards-meagher family tree' the information I have about HENRY DAVY + MARY ANN SMITH and their total number of daughters is from family word of mouth and other trees on ancestry, im afraid - which is why I was not satisfied to just go along with the information provided as a lot of it did not add up or make sense. My ancestor is his daughter, Elizabeth, who married Richard Henry Edwards in 1853 in Victoria (supposedly Reedy Creek, but that again could be different but there is a marriage listed on VICBDM that is for them in 1853) I do not really need the information about MARY ANN SMITH and her second marriage details, which is why I have not obtained her death certificate as I know her death date etc I am just after Henry's. As i am a university student, money is tight which is why I have relied on microfilm data from the QLD state archives and of course ancestry and the world wide web to confirm some info (such as the cornwall opc, which is brilliant) but I will have to purchase some certificates now it seems. I know from records of the 'sibella' henry's approx age (along with mary ann) and their two daughters (with Christiana born on board en route to australia) so know that HENRY + MARY ANN married in Torpoint, cornwall as the two daughters' are registered there before they set sale in 1848. As I am in QLD I am not familiar at all with south australia nor victoria and which towns are close to each other etc, and having a reedy creek in both states confused me even more! There has been a book I have been told about called 'from Brackley to Blue Spur' all about MARY ANN SMITH and her journey to NZ along with descendents from the CHRISTIANA DAVEY line (Bloxham) which gives a lot of certified dates on her life, but still leaves poor HENRY with a 1852? death. I have a lot of info on Elizabeth Davey + Richard Henry Edwards (and their football team of children!) its just getting further back is the struggle, esp because there are at least four possible parents of HENRY DAVEY in cornwall circa 1810 so I would love to be able to try and narrow it down, and without a death cert, that is not easy. Does that make sense?