Author Topic: Henry Davy/Davey death circa 1852 Australia? (possibly SA, VIC or NSW)  (Read 15366 times)

Offline juliaanna1701

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Davy/Davey death circa 1852 Australia? (possibly SA, VIC or NSW)
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 07 February 16 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Okay I've just purchased the marriage cert for ELIZABETH DAVEY + RICHARD HENRY EDWARDS - thoughts?

Offline juliaanna1701

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 07 February 16 10:17 GMT (UK) »
And this is what I have from another researcher which I dont fully agree with -

Offline Spike H

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 07 February 16 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Okay I've just purchased the marriage cert for ELIZABETH DAVEY + RICHARD HENRY EDWARDS - thoughts?

My thought initially was that she would have been too young to be married in 1853, but the certificate confirms that she was 16.
Now, the certificate says born in Plymouth?? Where did that come from? Born Plymouth, baptised Torpoint, Cornwall?
UK: Lee, Swift
CON: Davey, Harding, Hocking, Rule, Whinnen
AUST: McIntosh

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 07 February 16 13:34 GMT (UK) »
My thought initially was that she would have been too young to be married in 1853, but the certificate confirms that she was 16.
Now, the certificate says born in Plymouth?? Where did that come from? Born Plymouth, baptised Torpoint, Cornwall?
16 from 1853 gives 1837

As far as I was aware the shipping record quoted above was 1848 :)

Post 8
Quote from: juliaanna
Yes - Christiana was born on the 'Sibella' coming to australia, along with her parents HENRY DAVEY + MARY ANN SMITH - plus her two older sisters Emma Mary and Elizabeth.
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Spike H

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 07 February 16 21:23 GMT (UK) »
16 from 1853 gives 1837

As far as I was aware the shipping record quoted above was 1848 :)

Post 8
Quote from: juliaanna
Yes - Christiana was born on the 'Sibella' coming to australia, along with her parents HENRY DAVEY + MARY ANN SMITH - plus her two older sisters Emma Mary and Elizabeth.
I have seen the baptism records for both Emma and Elizabeth on OPC so I was aware that Elizabeth was 16 in 1853. Because 16 was a bit youngish to get married it was possible that this was not the correct marriage. The marriage certificate removes that doubt, which was the point I was trying to make.
UK: Lee, Swift
CON: Davey, Harding, Hocking, Rule, Whinnen
AUST: McIntosh

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 07 February 16 21:39 GMT (UK) »
I responded to this section

Quote from: Spike H

To me that indicated confusion over where she was born.
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline juliaanna1701

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 07 February 16 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Torpoint is a parish in cornwall that is across the bay from Plymouth - approx 3 miles so many bdm were registered in Plymouth instead. Torpoint is a very small parish at that time, so it was common and the family departed for australia from plymouth as well - I guess Elizabeth didn't really care much for particulars in birth place! A lot of people these days still think that Plymouth is in cornwall as it marks the border with cornwall and as it is the cultural centre for both Devon + Cornwall - a lot of confusion but it is technically in Devon.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 07 February 16 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Firstly I made a typo with the commencement date of civil reg in Vic...apologies.  I have corrected it.  It was 1 Jul 1853 not 1856 :-[ :-[

The marriage registration has been completely filled out by minister including the signatures of the bride and groom.   In Victoria it is usual for the signatures of the bride and groom to be on the marriage registration.  And no consent noted on the registration for a minor to marry.  Also an opportunity for mistranscriptions to occur.

Even though many of the registrations in the period following the commencement of civil registration had limited information I would have purchased the LUKE/DAVEY marriage cert in the hope that more information was available. 

Many married at 16 and earlier.  Perhaps Mary Ann wasn't present at her dau's marriage hence the misinformation.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 07 February 16 22:47 GMT (UK) »
I also note that the bride and groom's mothers' maiden names are not completed.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk