Author Topic: Where/What is Coomb Anthony?  (Read 1221 times)

Offline meljade

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where/What is Coomb Anthony?
« on: Monday 08 February 16 06:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm hoping someone may have some information or heard of Coomb Anthony, Devon.

I have a ancestor who listed this as a place of abode (Coomb Anthony near Newton Bushel) on the birth record of his child in 1821.

After enquiring with the Devon record office, they are unable to find any record of Coomb Anthony in their list of places/maps or find reference online. They have suggested it could be the name of a house or small settlement not found on maps.  Hoping someone may be able to shed some light??

Thanks Mel

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Where/What is Coomb Anthony?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 February 16 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps an appeal in the local paper, Mid Devon Advertiser, might bring a result.

Offline meljade

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 February 16 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for the suggestion, I'm in Australia but will certainly look into this option.

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 February 16 11:40 GMT (UK) »
I'm wondering if this could be a corruption ? (Coombe-in-Teignhead said in broad Devon accent could be misheard as Coomb Anthony  :)
Can you give us names for the father and the child so we can have a look at local Parish records to help ?

By the way, in case you are not aware, Newton Bushell is now a part of Newton Abbot.

Maec
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 February 16 12:32 GMT (UK) »
There is/was a Coombe at Bickington, some 3 miles west. A modern map shows Coombe Cross?
Another Coombe 5 miles ENE near Bishopsteignton.
And another Coombe at Bovey Tracey, 5 miles NNW. I can see a Coombe Lane to the east of Bovey Tracey.

Of course, Coombe simply means "valley".
Usually a small valley without a watercourse.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline meljade

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 February 16 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maec,

Your suggestion could be a possibility, unfortunately not being familiar with English accents and local geography I hadn't even considered this, so thank you.

From the information I have the father John Brey/Bray was a sailor from Devon, ? born in Newton Bushell (I have posted previously to confirm a birth/baptism record for him with no luck)    http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=737697.msg5838426#msg5838426

At some point he travels to Kent, marries Mary Smart in Plaxtol 27/11/1820 and goes on to have several children.
The baptism of the child(ren) were in Kent -

1) Mary Brey born 13 Oct 1821, bap 28 Oct 1821 (this baptism entry lists this abode as Coomb Anthony near Newton Bushel, Sailor in the ??unreadable) This information is from the Plaxtol parish record - was sent to me from a trusted person also researching this branch of the family tree who had viewed the parish transcripts on CD.

This is the only baptism record mentioning Coomb Anthony.  The other baptisms are listed in Plaxtol, Maidstone - Elizabeth Brey 1824 Plaxtol,  James Bray 1831 Maidstone, Caroline Amelia 1832, Jemima 1836, John 1839 and Charles 1844.  John's occupation changes from Sailor to Labourer, Chair Maker over the course of the rest of the baptisms, 1841 and 1851 censuses.

I haven't been able to find any records which may indicate if he was in the Navy or other Mariner group.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 February 16 13:25 GMT (UK) »
The town of Newton Abbott was formerly 2 settlements!
Newton Abbot (taking the low ground) and Newton Bushel (taking the high ground).

They were situated respectively in the parishes of Wolborough and Highweek, and separated by the small river Lemon.

Wolborough PR's are on FindMyPast.
Wolborough baptisms, 1813-1840
Wolborough St Mary baptisms, 1558-1915
Wolborough St Paul baptisms, 1861-1915
Wolborough St Leonard baptisms, 1860-1915

Highweek PR's are on FindMyPast (baptisms 1653-1915)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 February 16 13:35 GMT (UK) »
There is a 1794 baptism for a John Bray in Combeinteignhead: 9 Feb 1794, parents John & Susanna
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline meljade

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to everyone for helping with this.  It seems quite plausible that Combeinteignhead is the correct place.  I have done a bit more digging around the John Bray baptised in 1794.  There is also a Daniel Townshend(Townsend) Bray bap 8/10/1795 to John and Susanna.  John Bray married Susanna Townsend 11/1/1790 in Combeinteignhead.  These are the only 2 baptisms I have been able to trace thus far.  I'm still looking for some piece of information that can definitely tie/link all of this together with John Bray who ended up in Kent.