Author Topic: Irish wills  (Read 6237 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Irish wills
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 24 February 16 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Just checked at local Reg Office when passing...  If a person with no next of kin dies the Doctor does the paperwork and the Hospital registers the Death.

As to who pays for Funeral, she did not know but is reasonably confident the Local Health Board does!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 24 February 16 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Heywood. Something I've not come across before. He definitely had family (even if not his own kids) and probably enough money to pay for a funeral but presumably if no-one collects the body from the hospital it falls to the staff there? The family in England were sure there was a 'significant other' in his life, so the mystery continues - will let you know if we receive the will, and if it provides any answers. And thanks again.

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 24 February 16 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Hallmark - your message came just as I'd sent my last one. It does seem like the uncle died alone which isn't what the family had imagined. I've been responsible for registering a few deaths in my family but had never given any thought to what happens if there are next of kin who   don't know a relative has died.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 25 February 16 07:59 GMT (UK) »
Well if he did and there was no next of kin to be found to bury him there might also be an estate left behind.. did he make a Will??  or not??

IF the hospital registered the death they would be the ones to contact.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 25 February 16 09:36 GMT (UK) »
We're waiting to hear the result of our application for a will - it's been a bit more complicated than in my experience of English wills. This search started with my relative (in-law, not my blood family) saying he'd always wondered what happened to the favourite uncle he remembered as a child. After years of tracing my own ancestors I said it would be relatively easy to find out . . .

Well, I've certainly learnt quite a lot, and am grateful for the help you've all given me. The nephew concerned has been in touch with Cork register office (I think) who are looking to see if there was a will - and I'll let you know the result, whatever it is.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 25 February 16 09:38 GMT (UK) »
I doubt the hospital would provide any further details. If there were no relatives then details for death certificate would likely have come from hospital admission records and such records are not open to the public.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!