Author Topic: Burial Place in Edinburgh?  (Read 4625 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burial Place in Edinburgh?
« Reply #27 on: Monday 22 February 16 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Dorrie, one of the things swept away at the Reformation was the sale of indulgences by the Catholic Church, whereby sins of the departed were remitted by paying a sum of money & prayers could be said in churches by the clergy, continually in some cases, for the dead. This is what largely paid for the Vatican & what eventually brought the church roof down when the German princes, sick of seeing their silver vanishing over the Alps, backed Luther.

Praying for the dead therefore isn't done in the Church of Scotland as they are already judged & no amount of praying will improve their present predicament,  prayers are certainly made thanking God for their life however.

I have attended a Wee Free funeral where I don't think the departed was even mentioned.  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 22 February 16 15:42 GMT (UK) »
I have attended a Wee Free funeral where I don't think the departed was even mentioned.  ;D

I have attended a Roman Catholic funeral where I don't recall any mention of the departed either. Also an Episcopalian funeral at which I wondered if the clergyman conducting the service knew anything at all about the deceased apart from her name.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 22 February 16 15:50 GMT (UK) »
My neighbour in the close died and the minister kept mentioning William until his son in law shouted out Robert. Still got the brown envelope right enough!

Skoosh.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 22 February 16 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information re:Henry VIII and his effect, Forfarian. I'd been speaking generally, and more about England than specifically.
I know that a great many municipal cemeteries developed in the 19th C., mostly in large towns and cities like Glasgow, as Skoosh says, where existing facilities could no longer cope with greater populations  arriving and dying. It was also a good money-earner to found a necropolis or cemetery, when you think about it, wasn't it? Thank you also Skoosh for general information, I've learned something today.
But surely, getting back to the original query, everyone had to be buried ( or, later, cremated) somewhere, so I'd have guessed that the closest cemetery to where the family of the deceased lived would probably have been the destination, as for almost everyone else, wouldn't it?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 22 February 16 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Skoosh that has now cleared up what you meant by praying for the dead and how I understood it.

Praying for the dead obviously meant/means prayers for their soul/forgiveness for sins etc as I understand it in the Catholic Church different from prayers said at a funeral by a clergyman of any denomination.

Thanks for that.

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 22 February 16 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information re:Henry VIII and his effect, Forfarian. I'd been speaking generally, and more about England than specifically.
I'm sure you were, but that wasn't how it came over.

There are some pretty major differences between the religious history of Scotland and the religious history of England.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 22 February 16 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Yorky, the nearest available cemetery is frequently not the case, it would make life a lot easier if it was as simple but for one reason or another folk are often buried where you least expect them to be.

Skoosh.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Skoosh: That could be it! - And I'd thought it was that some of my ancestors were simply immortal ( One whole bunch I seem never to have been able to find accurate burials for) They must simply all have been packed off to some far-distant cemetery.
Seriously, Forfarian: I am grateful to you, - you set me off reading and finding out more about those differences. I'd assumed although England and Scotland were separate Kingdoms in Henry VIII's time, that there would have been similar effects of Protestantism north of the Border. I knew I'd several Scots Presbyterians in my ancestry, as well as other Protestant Sects ( not sure if that's quite the right word) and also knew that many areas of Scotland remained R.C., and had assumed that, as in England, the newly-emergent Protestantism would also have taken over most of the existing (R.C.) Parish churches and their graveyards/burial grounds. It's always good to learn something new, and get rid of my incorrect assumptions, and I'm enjoying finding out more about how things actually were. Thank you again.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline hms racker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 15:22 GMT (UK) »
All very interesting. I dont think I will find him.