Author Topic: Errors in FamilySearch?  (Read 2697 times)

Offline SBib

• RootsChat Senior
  • Edwin Bibby b1848 British Champion Wrestler
    • View Profile
Re: Errors in FamilySearch?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 12 February 16 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Guy.
Whether it's T or F is further confused by his birth in 1856 (Tillingham) but his baptism appears to be Fillingham.  :)
BIBBY ONE-NAME STUDY

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 12 February 16 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Guy.
Whether it's T or F is further confused by his birth in 1856 (Tillingham) but his baptism appears to be Fillingham.  :)

Worth considering that the birth indexes are copies taken from the original birth entries, so Fillingham could have been misread from Tillingham. (I've just found a Stanley in the birth index whose real name is Shirley.... checked the image, definitely says Stanley. I'm guessing there was some bad writing somewhere further back down the line!)
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 February 16 15:15 GMT (UK) »

Worth considering that the birth indexes are copies taken from the original birth entries, so Fillingham could have been misread from Tillingham. (I've just found a Stanley in the birth index whose real name is Shirley.... checked the image, definitely says Stanley. I'm guessing there was some bad writing somewhere further back down the line!)

A friend of mine has an ancestor who is down as Reuben (female) and on the next census is Rebecca.Which is what her name really is.I think it was a case of the enumerator not being able to read his own writing,having hundreds of them to copy out possibly in the dark back in the mid 19th century.  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 February 16 06:15 GMT (UK) »

With regards to transcription errors, the transcriptions are what the transcriber sees when transcribing the document, some handwriting, as I am sure you all know, is appalling and often illegible and so an educated guess must be taken as to what is written.  Then when moderated, does the Mod agree with the transcriber?   Here is where I think it goes back to transcribers and moderators having a local knowledge of the country, that would give better insight into the place names and to a certain extent names and surnames and the spelling of them.

Family search has transcribers from all over the world, so your local documents may be being transcribed by a person in another part of the world. Coming from South Africa I have seen place names and surnames transcribed as something else but when I look at the document can immediately see what was written.
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 February 16 07:15 GMT (UK) »

The birth indexes are NOT taken from original registers, but from the quarterly returns made by the Superintendent Registrar (or his/her minions!) to the GRO. i.e a copy.

These quarterly returns are then compiled into the GRO Indexes you see - so another copy; or a copy of a copy!

The original registers are those with the Register Office locally.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)