Author Topic: Workhouse and the census  (Read 923 times)

Offline hadenmaiden

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Workhouse and the census
« on: Sunday 17 July 05 20:02 BST (UK) »
Here I am, showing my ignorance again - but I'm sure someone will be able to put me right ;)
Is anyone able to tell me, please, how it shows up if someone was in the workhouse at the time of the census?  Would they still come up on a name search, or would I have to search workhouse records?  Thanks in anticipation, Jacky
Haden, Edwards, Bradley, Lamb, Cooper, Pool, Hepton, Ellam, Wilbe, Taylor

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
Re: Workhouse and the census
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 July 05 20:17 BST (UK) »
Jacky

Workhouse records have normally featured for me when searching census's - but it's worth reading the small print of whatever search you are doing to make sure.  For example, on 1837 I think you have to tick workhouses if I remember rightly.

There was no special census for workhouses - but they often had special institutional forms that were completed by the institution and, I guess, given to the enumerator.  Same applied for boats and barracks, and (boarding) schools.

I've found plenty in the workhouse near the end of their lives.

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 July 05 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Jacky,

You will often find that an institution such as the workhouse and/or its infirmary, a barracks, a prison, a hospital or asylum was enumerated as a separate district in a census.  Sometimes they appear near the end of a piece, but not always.  Some people in institutions were only listed by their initials (which makes them .*.* difficult to find), but not always.  Whatever method was used, such places were always recorded.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hadenmaiden

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 July 05 22:32 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, Nell and Julian - that gives me something else to try :D
Haden, Edwards, Bradley, Lamb, Cooper, Pool, Hepton, Ellam, Wilbe, Taylor