Author Topic: Eric Thompson Stobbs. Death 1944 South Shields. Place of burial/cremation?  (Read 4512 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Eric Thompson Stobbs. Death 1944 South Shields. Place of burial/cremation?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 17:37 GMT (UK) »
How do you know ?

He's on the 1939 register. Definitely living at St John's Chapel  :D

Added: perhaps I ought to be pedantic and say that he was at St John's Chapel at the time of the 1939 register. Not necessarily living there permanently. (Just before someone comes along and puts me right  ::) )
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 18:11 GMT (UK) »
How do you know ?

He's on the 1939 register. Definitely living at St John's Chapel  :D

Added: perhaps I ought to be pedantic and say that he was at St John's Chapel at the time of the 1939 register. Not necessarily living there permanently. (Just before someone comes along and puts me right  ::) )

Well, there is no middle name for this Eric Stobbs, plus the DOB is 1897, which isn't correct. I have no idea who Susannah Kidd (Walton) might be. Might be easier with an address, but can't get that, just Weardale. Lots of Stobbs in Weardale. I'll go and look at the census records.
Elliot(t), Stobbs,Thompson (Weardale) Johnson, Hunter, Hall (Kirk Merrington/Spennymoor)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Well, there is no middle name for this Eric Stobbs, plus the DOB is 1897, which isn't correct. I have no idea who Susannah Kidd (Walton) might be. Might be easier with an address, but can't get that, just Weardale. Lots of Stobbs in Weardale. I'll go and look at the census records.

OK. Good luck with your search.

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Good news is that when we went to the TWA today and looked at the Mortuary records it had the undertakers name and the place of burial, which is St Johns Chapel in Weardale. Now I've just got to find whereabouts in the Church yard. Thanks for all the help everyone. :)
Elliot(t), Stobbs,Thompson (Weardale) Johnson, Hunter, Hall (Kirk Merrington/Spennymoor)

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 18:25 GMT (UK) »

OK. Good luck with your search.

Lol, Thanks. Does the record you have definitely say St Johns or just Weardale?

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Okay, so if he was taken back to St John's Chapel, Durham Records Office has the parish Records for St John The Baptist, St John's Chapel

They have burial Registers that span 1788 - 2011

Given you have the date of death, I should think looking through a couple of weeks maximum would confirm if he was buried there. As its a parish register it may not tell you the section and plot number but it will at least confirm if he was buried there and when.

http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/Pages/AdvancedSearchChurchRegistersDetail.aspx?SearchType=Param&SearchID=36c872d7-e0d2-4de0-a945-f94424e28a9e&ItemID=597875

Note the reference numbers, if you can't actually go to look for yourself, give them a ring and (for a fee) they will find and copy the record for you.

I'd also Google the funeral directors, 'if' you can track them down they 'may' have records that can tell you the section and plot and whether or not they supplied a headstone
Going back to him being in St John's in 1939, if all the family had moved away and his parents had died, maybe he 'boarded' with another local family so that he at least stayed in the place he knew. St John's is small, I spent a fair bit of time there in the summers when I was a little girl, everyone would know everyone else and would have looked out for him so it would be best for him to stay there as long as was possible. Perhaps he became ill or too much for his carer to cope with and rather than 'being put in the workhouse' he was admitted to Harton hospital wing which was near to where you say one of his brothers lived and worked - at least that way someone was near enough to visit him?
Don't discount what JenB told you on the basis of no middle name and incorrect birth year. If he was staying with someone who wasn't family maybe they didn't know he had a middle name and just weren't sure when he was born so gave their best guess. You'd be surprised how many records I have seen with incorrect info, given in good faith at the time, but still incorrect

Boo

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Oh yes, I know St Johns Chapel and Ireshopeburn very well. Spent many a day up there as a child with Dad helping the family at Island House and Hole, Ireshopeburn. Was just up there the weekend before last taking pictures of the ruins of my Great Grandparents home at Hole.

I haven't by any means discounted the information from the 1939 register. I'm trying to look at the census to find the name mentioned and I'll ask Dad if the names Kidd or Walton mean anything. As I said, Eric definitely didn't live up at Weardale full time after his father died.

Thanks again for all the help and advice everyone.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 18 February 16 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Eric definitely lived with them at Howlish Hall ,at least part time, when Dad was 4 or 5 (I have photographs)

Nellie and husband John G Elliott are at Howlish Hall on the 1939 register. Eric is not there, neither is he to be seen at Escomb.

I suggest you buy a few credits on findmypast and take a look at the entry I mentioned earlier. I think what you see on the full entry will absolutely convince you that it's the right person.

The other people whose names you've seen need not necessarily have any relationship to him. He could just have been staying there for a few days - after all the register simply showed who was where on the night of 29th September 1939.

There are many examples here of birthdates on the 1939 register being incorrect, and personally (like Ticketyboo) I'd place little or no significance to the absence of the middle initial.