Author Topic: Help with obtaining Italian Citizenship  (Read 1719 times)

Offline Adiroit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with obtaining Italian Citizenship
« on: Sunday 14 February 16 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello there! The lovely people on RootsChat helped me obtain the necessary documents and forms for me to get my British citizenship last summer, and I couldn't be more thankful!

A friend of mine is trying to obtain her Italian citizenship claiming it under her grandfather, but the information she has is limited.

His name is Anthony Tubiolo and was born in Palermo, Sicilia (Italy). She also got information that he may be from one of these communes - Villabate or Misilmeri.

She's trying to obtain a copy of his birth certificate but has no idea how to find the record (or how to order it) given the limited information.

The place of birth that I listed, she actually only recently found out from a relative that they never knew about until recently - "my aunt found him on Facebook... his dad is my grandfathers brother apparently and gave me that information".

She's an amazing person, with a huge heart and a passion for what she wants to do in life. If I'm able to help her find this document (with the help of someone on here of course) it would mean the world to me.  ;D

Thank you in advance for any potential help or leads you could provide. Thank you for reading through my post and I hope you all have a wonderful day!

-Paul

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with obtaining Italian Citizenship
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 February 16 15:10 GMT (UK) »
It sounds like the grandfather might still be alive?

Your friend needs to make sure this doesn't apply-
"Children of Italian parents (mother or father) who are Italian citizens. Citizenship is passed on from parent to child without limitation of generation, on the condition that none of the ancestors has ever renounced their citizenship."
Much more information on the site-
www.esteri.it/mae/en/italiani_nel_mondo/serviziconsolari/cittadinanza.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Adiroit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 February 16 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Hiya again aghadowey! :D

Nah the grandfather is long gone unfortunately.

If her parents haven't claimed their own Italian citizenship, would they have to do that first. And then she would do it ?

Or could she directly claim it from him

Offline Adiroit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 February 16 16:50 GMT (UK) »
The main thing would be how we would go about finding the record of his birth (with limited info) and then ordering the document.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 February 16 19:44 GMT (UK) »
When he was born?

They would have to prove that whichever parent is on the Italian line did not fail to maintain their Italian citizenship also, so if they don't already have proof of this that would be hard to do. I believe that if they have acquired another citizenship this may be seen as having lost their Italian citizenship by default (depending on dates).

The places you mention are both in Palmero; there are some records online (not name searchable, requires sign-in) here but none beyond 1900, you'd have to contact the commune where he was born
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/2051639
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 February 16 02:02 GMT (UK) »
Can't remember his name, but there is a Rootschatters living in Italy who does lookups etc for people on here!  I'll have a browse and see if I can find his member name.

Here he is - steve62

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=705763.0
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline steve62

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 March 16 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andiroit,

Just seen your message and its me who does look-ups in Italy where I live.  Sometimes successful and sometimes not.  Always worth a try.

To obtain the BC I would need to know the date of Birth or at least the year of Birth, otherwise they will not search.

Regards Citizenship I will in the meantime make some enquiries with the authorities here.  I know for a fact a Canadian friend of ours tried the same via his mother and father, still living, and was told there was a time limit and that had passed.  But we'll see.

Let me a have Birth date, if possible.  Any other info you need, just let me know - happy to help.

Steve :)
Boaler/Bowler/Boler - UK/Canada/USA/Australia
Hamer - UK
Mendle - Russia/UK
Goldstein - Russia/UK
Mazorkoff - UK/USA
Kapatofsky - Russia/Uk/USA
La Camera - Italy

Offline Adiroit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 March 16 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Name - Antonino Tubiolo (apparently his father was also named the same, not 100% confirmed)
Born - January 8, 1920 in Misilmeri Sicily

Any news (good or bad) is greatly appreciated! Thank you kindly Steve for any assistance you can provide.

Offline steve62

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 March 16 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Adiroit,

Have sent an e-mail to "Anagrafe Comune di Misilmeri" this morning requesting a copy of the Birth certificate of TUBIOLO, Antonio.  Included my address as they will send it by post.  When it comes I will send it you by attachment with a translated copy.

Steve
Boaler/Bowler/Boler - UK/Canada/USA/Australia
Hamer - UK
Mendle - Russia/UK
Goldstein - Russia/UK
Mazorkoff - UK/USA
Kapatofsky - Russia/Uk/USA
La Camera - Italy