Author Topic: The elusive Charlotte Morrison  (Read 1118 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
The elusive Charlotte Morrison
« on: Tuesday 16 February 16 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Charlotte Morrison, daughter of Benjamin Morrison and Jessie Rigby, was born in Nether Dallachy, parish of Bellie, Moray, on 21 May 1899. She was still unmarried in 1924, when she was a witness at her sister's marriage.

I have found no trace of her after that.

The family says that she married a Major Stone of the Indian Army, and spent most of her married life in India. When they returned to the UK they settled in Oxford, but Charlotte contracted pneumonia as a result of the unaccustomed cold climate, and died there. There are said to have been one son and one daughter, the latter named Charlotte after her mother.

Can anyone suggest where I might try for information about Charlotte, her husband and children?

I have tried FIBIS but they don't seem to have anything late enough to be useful. I have found two references online to a Major Geoffrey Stone in India, but I have no way of telling whether he was Charlotte's husband.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: The elusive Charlotte Morrison
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There is no death for her in Oxfordshire.

Doing a broad search of deaths for Charlotte Stone with a birthyear 1897-1901 shows 8 matches but all have more than one christian name
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. Yes, that was what I found too.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 17:50 GMT (UK) »
No references in the BNA for a Major Stone or Charlotte Stone in Oxfordshire up to 1950. FWIW only 1 public tree with her on ancestry but that only has her parents, sister & the 1901 census, no spouse.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Josey.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 19:20 GMT (UK) »
I have now learned that Charlotte Morrison married James Jamieson in Moray in 1924, and that she died in Moray in 1979. Also that her aunt Charlotte Rigby was a lady's maid in India in 1908. So I think the family story must relate to Charlotte Rigby, not to her niece Charlotte Morrison. Still none the wiser as to her marriage, husband and children  ???

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 21:44 GMT (UK) »
If the family tale actually relates to Charlotte Rigby you need to give us some details about her!

A Charlotte Marshall Rigby bc.1883 married an Alfred Stone 29/4/1911 Lucknow, Bengal, India.

A Charlotte Stone bc.1884 died Mar.qtr.1922 Headington, Oxfordshire.

I wonder if any, or both, of these events could relate to 'your' Charlotte Rigby.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Can only find 1 Charlotte Rigby born in Scotland but in 1879 not 1883.

Her parents were William Rigby and Jessie nee Marshall so was this the lady who married Alfred Stone in India in 1911 who clearly fibbed about her age!

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I have now discovered that Charlotte Rigby married Alfred Samuel Stone in India in 1911. Not sure about that death, however.  Charlotte Rigby was born in 1879, so if she was the one who died in 1922 aged 38, she has lost several years on the way.

Can only find 1 Charlotte Rigby born in Scotland but in 1879 not 1883.
Her parents were William Rigby and Jessie nee Marshall so was this the lady who married Alfred Stone in India in 1911 who clearly fibbed about her age!

Yes, that's the one. Did she claim to be 28 on her marriage? Where did you find that record?

For the record, this evening's haul of information includes the following. Alfred Samuel Stone was born in Port Blair, West Bengal in 1875 and died in the Isle of Wight in 1956. They had two children, Alfred Charles, born 1912, and Eleanor Charlotte, born 1914. I have yet to learn what became of Alfred Jr and Eleanor, who (according to family) was known as Charlotte.