Author Topic: Ellen Stewart looking for her death record  (Read 3767 times)

Offline DerryDuncan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen Stewart looking for her death record
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 25 September 19 12:07 BST (UK) »
Oops, KG, you can’t post copyright images. Thanks for the attempt.

If one lives in Northern Ireland, there are 4 Family History Centres (LDS Church of Latter Day Saints). Limited hours, with free access to Ancestry, Find My Past and other databases. - I’ve used their resources in the States.

Offline apthorpea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen Stewart looking for her death record
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 25 September 19 13:06 BST (UK) »
Ellen Stewart. Nee Thompson was married to my Great Grandfather John Gerard Stewart for a few years, she decided to leave him.  That was why he never married my great grandmother, they lived together. There was a court case brought by my great grand father, in which the court threw it out as they described it more like a divorce hearing,  These are two different Ellen’s, when   my great great grandmother, Margaret Stewart died in 1899 in her will named all of her children that were living with her plus her 2 youngest daughters.  Ellen is included in the children born around 1861. Ellen son James Stewart was born in 1882, 3 years later 1885, Margaret takes a case against (Stuart v Love) James Love to court over the seduction of her daughter Ellen.  James Love her son changes his name in 1903 to Love-before he marries Jane Gourley in 1903.Jane Gourley, daughter-in-law is on Ellen Stewart’s death certificate when she died at the house of Her son in Churchtown near Castlederg.  Whereas Ellen  Stewart nee Thompson is in the 1901 census http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Donegal/Kincraigy/Lisclamerty/1188935/, in the form B1 John Stewart is the landholder, his name has been crossed out as head of house and Ellen’s added.  He at that time appears to be paying the rent.  Ten years on Ellen is still living on her own,  http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Donegal/Trntaghmucklagh/Treantagh/507050/  11 years married.  Unfortunately  Ellen Stewart Thompson is evicted In 1918 for over-holding at Labourers Cottage at Cloon, Donegal. She dies in 1927 in the workhouse in Stranolar.  Ellen is a popular name in our family in both the 1800s and 1900s.  Thanks for looking.  Angela
Stewart, Reilly, Montgomery, Cheshire, Lyttle, Rankin, Apthorpe, Hart, Anderson,  Gourley