Author Topic: Cape Death Notices - 1834 onwards online  (Read 3259 times)

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
Cape Death Notices - 1834 onwards online
« on: Monday 22 February 16 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I discovered this weekend that you can view and download Cape Archive Death Notices on the Familysearch.org website. The links are from the catalog at :

https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/331262?availability=Family%20History%20Library

You will find here where there is a camera sign that you can browse the images. To find the image you are looking for search NAAIRS for the reference and then based on the year open the relevant film and navigate to the document by checking where the numbering starts from and advancing the film to the approximate document and browse

This is a fabulous way of getting a copy of the death notices as you cannot photograph documents in the Cape Archives

The 1st film on this page from about image 178 onwards appears to have some of the original documents transcribed on Tanap
Regards
Gillian
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline Chris Dallimore

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cape Death Notices - 1834 onwards online
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 April 16 07:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for this. I found my wife's great great grandfathers record, which listed his other children and wife's maiden name that we were not aware of.
The records are difficult to search, but they are all indexed in various ways. They are much more accessible than the other S.A. records that you can browse, because of the indexing.
Dallimore - Bristol, Somerset and South Wales
Yandell - Bristol
Roberts - Bristol
Condon - Bristol and County Cork
Smith - Ramsbury, Wiltshire and Leeds.
Moger - Bristol, Bath and Somerset
Cain - Leeds and County Cork

Offline KiwiRose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Cape Death Notices - 1834 onwards online
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 April 16 02:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Gillian, for posting the death notice link.

I realise now that there is a difference between the death certificate and the death notice and the information each contains. Thanks to you, I have finally found the name of a family member’s son by looking in the death notice.

It took me some time to work out the easiest way to search.  The NAAIRS Volume number was about the third frame in on the Family search film. Each person’s record had their NAAIRS Ref number written on the stamp, stamped at the top of their record.  These Ref numbers went in numerical order. Once I realised that, it became a lot quicker to locate the death notice I wanted.

Regards,
KiwiRose.
Ireland:
County Antrim: Carrickfergus District: Irwin, McAllister, McNeil, Moore.
County Clare: Barrett.
USA:
Washington State: Moore, Hoyt, Sinclair, Johnson, Palmateer, Larrabee.
California: De Curtoni.
New Zealand: De Cartoni, Lofquist, Harding.