Author Topic: William and Mary Beatty (nee Gillies) / Nethery  (Read 15493 times)

Offline loisb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William and Mary Beatty (nee Gillies) / Nethery
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 September 09 15:12 BST (UK) »
hi all
The photo's are of Elizabeth [ nee Moffitt ] and John Beaty my Great grandparents. There is no doubt of this, the original photo hung in the hall of my grandfathers home .
I believe the photo Ricky posted of the couple are William Beattie and Mary Gillis. You can see by the photo of the 5 generations that Mary was a petite small lady. Elizabeth on the other hand was a much larger lady.

loisb

Offline colibanqh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 06 September 09 07:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Loisb
I alway suspected that the photo was of Elizabeth Beaty, so the original hung at "pinewood" Diggers Rest, a cousin found some photos at "glencoe" Toolern Vale and i'am hoping to fly over soon to look at them.
Brian

Offline loisb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 06 September 09 15:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian,
Yes it was at "Pinewood", my cousin has one also my elder brother.
There was also one at "Glencoe" near the fireplace in the lounge. Don't know what happened to it when the place was sold, I expect Ken may still have it.
We may be able to help each other with information.

Loisb

Offline colibanqh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 September 09 00:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Loisb
So "Glencoe" is sold l remember going there when i was about 16 Billy, George and Hughe Wilson had it, Billy was 80 and still breaking in horses and milking 100 cows by hand. Hughe always came for Xmas lunch at my grandparents place William and Ethel Gillis at Kyneton,
any information on the Beaty's would be great
After John Beaty snr died  John, William and Andrew had a fight in the courts over the will
Brian

Offline ranga1230

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 February 10 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian,
Aonother member of this family has joined in with information. I also had holidays at Glencoe with my farther, keith james beaty my mother and 2 sisters.I also remember the photo over fireplace at glencoe. My middle name is nethery and always asked my farther why he did that to me, he told me it was  a family surname. Years ago the Beatty, Beaty,Beattie clan had a big family reunion at gisbourne, I went along with my Aunt, Jean (beaty) Wamsteker and cousin Robyn Beaty and her mother Dorothy. That weekend we also went to glencoe to see Ken. Property is sold, Ken living in house in Toolern vale. Did marry and cousin robyn does not know where contents of house went.we went to glencoe after christmas every year for a few years.taught to ride by george i also have photos of our times at glencoe. my farther and his cousins were very close. margaretb

Offline colibanqh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 25 February 10 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret,
Good to hear from you, i checked out the real estate on Glencoe there was photos of the lounge room in which you could see in the back ground the photo of Elizabeth Beaty.
So you father is Keith is Lois you sister ? or have l got it wrong.
The Beaty, Beatty & Beattie can be quite confusing
i have a newspaper death notice of a Nethery passing away at "Pinewood"
Brian

Offline ranga1230

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 February 10 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian,

No Louis is not my sister,but is a relative. My fathers family, Kenneth Beaty,father of Robyn, first cousin still living at melton, Robyn very interested in family and i have sent her all information from this site.I have series of photos of family group taken at glencoe with my father and his family,Bill, George and Hughie and other members of family, the Pinewood Beatys I think.Louis is one of them I think.The family tree given to us at reunion has the wilsons family patriach as andrew who married sarah gillis whose children were george elizabeth and sarah. elizabeth married william wilson.our connection is william who married elizabeth nethery, whose children, william,according to this family tree is my great grandfarther, son, william james beaty married ruth miscamble at monegetta 20.2.1907. My father, keith james beaty, brother kenneth beaty and sister jean elizabeth beaty, still with us but not very well, aged approx 93, are their children.I have asked robyn to send me all family tree information of the four boys who came out from ireland.

Offline colibanqh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 01 March 10 01:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret,
So William Beaty is you great grandfather he had the farm "Rocklands" at Sunbury. He and his brother Andrew returned to Ireland to marry, William to Elizabeth Nethery on the 1/5/1863 at the Drumquin Presbyterian Church in the Parish of Langfield Tyrone witness of the marriage John Young on the groom side and James Moffat on the bride side, Elizabeth list Carrickamulkin as her address.
Andrew to Sarah Gillis married at the Alt Presbyterian Church parish of Urney Donegal they where married by the brother of Sarah the Rev Charles Gillis of Mullarts County Antrim.
Have you heard of Margaret who can out with the Beaty's from Ireland in 1849 we believe that she is the niece of Elizabeth Beaty wife of John Beaty snr she married John Gillis of Trentham they are my Great Great Grandparents. John Gillis is the brother of Sarah Beaty nee Gillis
Brian

Offline ranga1230

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 01 March 10 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian,

The Harkness family also had a lot of memorabilia about the family, cuttings from newspapers etc. Their estate was left to neice, after family reunion I went to visit with them before I came home, he was very interesting to talk to, came often to Glencoe when we were visiting on holidays.Yes, my aunt talked about "Rocklands" and how severe Elizabeth was as a Grandmother,the photo I have of her does indicate that. I do remember that Glencoe had a great collection of china that would now be considered antique, but I think now disposed of.We also visited Farther's Aunt Maude Martin, who was a spinster, and enjoyed the visits.She had lots of paintings she had done and
each visit let us choose one. There was a sundial in the garden that always interested us and also a beautiful grandfather clock. When I visited the Harkness's they were in possession of the grandfather clock and the sundial.