Author Topic: The Wales Collection on FindMyPast  (Read 4481 times)

Offline Scottish Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Wales Collection on FindMyPast
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 24 February 16 10:13 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast do state This collection is not a complete record of all the marriages in any particular Welsh county. The date ranges of records for each locality will vary.
   http://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-Records/wales-marriages-1541-1900

Have they indicated that the parish is covered  :-\

This is core of trouble with FindMyPast - they don't give much detail on coverage. I did get links to spreadsheets that set out exactly what was included a year or so back but they no longer work.  I have followed up just now.

I suspect that the Llandegai registers may not be included - see http://www.genuki.org.uk/files/wal/CAE/CAE_PR.html  That list is from 1999 but it indicates no registers from Llandegai in  Caernarfon Area Record Office (part of Cyngor Gwynedd/Gwynedd Council) meaning they are unlikely to be on FindMyPast. Maybe worth checking with the Record Office though I know that is not really what you should have to do.

Offline Keith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 24 February 16 10:36 GMT (UK) »
This is core of trouble with FindMyPast - they don't give much detail on coverage. I did get links to spreadsheets that set out exactly what was included a year or so back but they no longer work.  I have followed up just now.

I suspect that the Llandegai registers may not be included - see http://www.genuki.org.uk/files/wal/CAE/CAE_PR.html  That list is from 1999 but it indicates no registers from Llandegai in  Caernarfon Area Record Office (part of Cyngor Gwynedd/Gwynedd Council) meaning they are unlikely to be on FindMyPast. Maybe worth checking with the Record Office though I know that is not really what you should have to do.

The Llandegai registers are held at the Caernarfon RO, I've used them many times, but I don't think they're part of this collection. One thing to bear in mind is that the FindMyPast collection doesn't include a lot of the later Caernarfonshire registers so they will have to be accessed at the RO. It's all a bit hit and miss to be honest!

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 24 February 16 11:05 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast do state This collection is not a complete record of all the marriages in any particular Welsh county. The date ranges of records for each locality will vary.
   http://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-Records/wales-marriages-1541-1900

Have they indicated that the parish is covered  :-\

Thank you very much, looks like I got excited too hastily  :'(
Williams, Owens, Pritchard, Povall, Banks, Brown.

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 24 February 16 12:22 GMT (UK) »
It should also be remembered that in a small parish the registers may still be in use.    A lot of people married in chapel or at the registrars in Wales and so there weren't many church marriages.   I'm not sure if this is the case but it is worth noting  when looking for a welsh marriage, babtism or burial as there were so many non-conformists in wales so the churches were not used as much
Nesta

Offline Scottish Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 24 February 16 12:37 GMT (UK) »
The Llandegai registers are held at the Caernarfon RO, I've used them many times, but I don't think they're part of this collection. One thing to bear in mind is that the FindMyPast collection doesn't include a lot of the later Caernarfonshire registers so they will have to be accessed at the RO. It's all a bit hit and miss to be honest!

Wondered if 1999 list was out of date.  "hit and miss" is the key phrase. Fewer but more complete collections might be more useful generally or at least full collection descriptions.

Offline Kevin Burrell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 24 February 16 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Yes - only appears to be some Burial and Baptism records for Llandegai - transcriptions and images but nothing in the  marriages and Banns record sets for Caernarvonshire - but even they are not easy to find unless you go via the A-Z of record sets (in top right hand corner) and navigate direct to, for example, the Caernarvonshire Burials search page
Burrell - Mainly London area
Wallace - North-East England
Starling - London, Cambridge & Suffolk
Park - London, Derbyshire & Lancashire

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 25 February 16 06:27 GMT (UK) »
I emailed Caernarfon Record office yesterday and will copy and paste their reply when they answer.

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 25 February 16 06:28 GMT (UK) »
Yes - only appears to be some Burial and Baptism records for Llandegai - transcriptions and images but nothing in the  marriages and Banns record sets for Caernarvonshire - but even they are not easy to find unless you go via the A-Z of record sets (in top right hand corner) and navigate direct to, for example, the Caernarvonshire Burials search page

Agreed they are not easy to find!!!