Author Topic: National Schools Catholic Beaghmore, Cookstown Co. Tyrone  (Read 874 times)

Offline Airdriehunter

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
National Schools Catholic Beaghmore, Cookstown Co. Tyrone
« on: Friday 26 February 16 14:46 GMT (UK) »
I found an ancestor John Hunter b. 1870 on the 1901/1911 census. It states his occupation was National School Teacher in the 1901 and 1911 census. He was a catholic, he married Annie McKenna in 1997. I would love to know what school he taught in as there seems to be a few in Cookstown. Is there any way to check this?  I was also wondering what qualifications where needed to become a teacher probably around the year 1995. Before he got married he lived in Newry and Camlough.
Thanks

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: National Schools Catholic Beaghmore, Cookstown Co. Tyrone
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 February 16 16:15 GMT (UK) »
The nearest National Schools to where he lived seem to be Broughderg, Strawmackilmartin and Dunnamore. If any records still exist they should be in PRONI in the ED series. (Where they do exist, the usually name the teachers, give their salary and there’s often Inspector’s comments on their skills).
Elwyn

Offline Airdriehunter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 February 16 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant, Thankyou,  I guess I'll definitely have to get back to my birthplace soon on a research trip not a social one,  there is only so far you can go online!
 :)

Offline Airdriehunter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 23:31 BST (UK) »
I found an ancestor John Hunter b. 1870 on the 1901/1911 census. It states his occupation was National School Teacher in the 1901 and 1911 census. He was a catholic, he married Annie McKenna in 1897. I would love to know what school he taught in as there seems to be a few in Cookstown. Is there any way to check this?  I was also wondering what qualifications where needed to become a teacher probably around the year 1895. Before he got married he lived in Newry and Camlough.
Thanks