Author Topic: Recording it all  (Read 4829 times)

Offline boydi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Recording it all
« on: Monday 18 July 05 09:28 BST (UK) »
I consider myself a beginner but would like to know the best way to record everything. I have a family tree program but have realised this is useless to anyone but me. I would like help on the best way for me to enter info so my sister who lives a long way from me can get all my family research without doing the same research. Any info on a word or excel setup would be great. Or any program that enables me to enter info for all family (now hundreds) to have access to. I do not expect it to be free but a good program that will grow with research. I would like to eventually set a web page but obviously this needs planning.
I post this message for any new researcher who has spent hours recording info and realises it all needs to go deeper and like me feels frustrated they have spent hours entering data , only to find they will need to re-enter the lot again. Hope someone in rootschat with vast experience can point me in the right direction.
Boydi
I have lots of frustrating brickwalls just like everyone else but would like to get some of it documented for my family future generations.
Moss/Debney/Bulpitt/Owen/Ovens -Sth Aust from 1838
Urquhart/Harcourt/Harker - Dalkeith, Scotland: Saltia, Pt Augusta Sth Aust, Broken Hill NSW
Doherty - Londonderry, Donegal, Belfast
McLaughlin - Donegal
Foley/Doherty/O'Neill/Moore - Antrim, Clydebank, Coventry, NSW
Dawson - Newlyn, Cornwall to Aust.
Kelynack/Love - Newlyn, Cornwall to Aust

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Recording it all
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 July 05 09:38 BST (UK) »
There are various options

1. export from your current family history program as a word file (or text file) /report
2. set up a standard excel database sheet
3. export a gedcom file of from your family history program and send this with a gedcom viewer program.
4. use a program similar to phpgedview on a web site to view a web version

Rootschat provide free webspace and will provide assistance to get things up and running.
Another advantage of having everything set up on a web site is that should disaster strike you also have a copy of your own research to fall back on

Setting up a web site will take no more planning than any of the other options.

Offline boydi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Recording it all
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 July 05 02:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all that info, it gives me something to think about,
regards Boydi
Moss/Debney/Bulpitt/Owen/Ovens -Sth Aust from 1838
Urquhart/Harcourt/Harker - Dalkeith, Scotland: Saltia, Pt Augusta Sth Aust, Broken Hill NSW
Doherty - Londonderry, Donegal, Belfast
McLaughlin - Donegal
Foley/Doherty/O'Neill/Moore - Antrim, Clydebank, Coventry, NSW
Dawson - Newlyn, Cornwall to Aust.
Kelynack/Love - Newlyn, Cornwall to Aust