Author Topic: A.E.REED ex Captain Canadian WW1 Expeditionary Force  (Read 1422 times)

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A.E.REED ex Captain Canadian WW1 Expeditionary Force
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 February 16 07:38 GMT (UK) »
HMM... just did a general search for Faith Relf in BC, and found an archived obit from 2002.  It says she died in Surrey, and was formerly of Delta.  Obit dated Dec 6, 2002.  For some reason, I can't seem to open the page, so I can just see the first couple of lines. 

Perhaps an email to a library in the Surrey area could turn up the obit.  If living family members are mentioned, perhaps they could give you a clue about the connection between your families?

RK

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 February 16 08:02 GMT (UK) »
The 1901 England census has an Albert E. Reed of the right age who was born in Guildford, Surrey living in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne in a household headed by his mother, Elizabeth F. Reed (born 1850, Chatham, Kent). Altogether Elizabeth has 5 sons (including Albert), a daughter, son-in-law and grandson in the household as well as a visitor. Elizabeth's entry indicates she was married.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XS9Q-RMR

I believe I have found them on the 1881 England census before Albert was born with William Reed who was a Primitive Methodist Minister (born abt 1850 in Cassop, Durham) listed as the head of household. His being a minister would explain why their children had so many different birth places. Also in the household was Rosetta Wood who is listed as "mother-in-law".
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QKX5-P7WR

It would appear the Albert Edward Reed that Kitty found was the son of William Reed and Elizabeth Faith Wood. Elizabeth's parents were Frederick Wood and Rosetta (possibly Ward - there is a Rosetta Ward who married a Frederick Wood in 1848 in Portsea, Hampshire).
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VFD8-RLL

The only William Reed who was born in Cassop that I've found was the son of William Reed and Jane (?).
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QKVV-4FVR

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline laurenbavin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 February 16 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jacqui I'd just been researching them myself and got the same results. No obvious link to Lionel Goodwin or his mother so far. Mind you as in said she's a bit of a mystery . her maiden mane was Gleeson and so far no obvious connection but Ill go back a further generation on the hope of finding their common ancestor
Goodwin, Middlebrook, Farrer, Mclellan,Poole,Bavin

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 February 16 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Quick look at the Durham Records Online site..  going from the 1851 census that Jacqui found, William born in Cassop's father is William born 1815 in Cassop.  There is a baptism record for a William, residence Cassop... 1815 in Easington.  To see the full record costs a small amount of money though. 

http://www.durhamrecordsonline.com/SearchResults.php?page=1

Looking through the free Bishops Transcript images at familysearch, I am not seeing it in the Easington records???  (1815 baptisms start at IMG 223)

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-68DQ-2TV?wc=9K5Q-92S%3A13618101%2C23035902%2C16202402%3Fcc%3D1309819&cc=1309819

RK 

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 February 16 21:17 GMT (UK) »
He was trying to trace other relatives in relation to disbursements of a will of a deceased relative in England.

Do you have the name of the deceased person? Maybe searching back from that person would find a connection.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 February 16 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

What about this Lionel Goodwin who was also related and visited the Reeds in Winnipeg in 1919?  Did he come from England?  Do you have any passenger lists for him that give contacts/addresses?

RK

Offline laurenbavin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 February 16 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Leonard was born in New Zealand.  He served in the NZEF in WW1 - If he visited in 1919 its possible it was on a layover of the troopship he was on when it returned but that is not at all certain as the ship left London on 10 May 1919 and got to Auckland New Zealand on Jun 23 1919 - I doubt it stopped for very long and I would hazard a guess that they wouldnt have time to get to winnipeg if it did.
I cant find any passenger list for Lionel leaving New Zealand and going to Canada after he arrives back either . He was the head butter maker at a Dairy Company by 1921 ( when he was charged with stealing a lot of butter and was sent to jail for a year)

Offline laurenbavin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 28 February 16 21:54 GMT (UK) »
What Im hoping is the connection between Reed and Lionel Goodwin is through Lionels mother. Im almost certain its not through his father as I have that line fairly complete back past Lionels Great Grandparents. His mother though is another story. Her maiden name was Mary Ann Gleeson. She grew up in Dublin but was apparently born in around 1859 in Leeds. Ive ordered one Birth cert for the most probable birth but it was not the correct one. Im fairly certain she appears in the 1861 census with a Kelly family and an Ann Smith widow- aged 2 - and then disappears.
She appears again in 1875 emigrating to New Zealand from Kings County Ireland  where she is a 17 year old domestic servant

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 29 February 16 00:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

Sorry... looks like I misread your initial post.  I though Lionel had visited the Reeds in Canada.  So, he came from NZ and visited your family in England.  Glad to see you have managed to trace his family, at least on the one side.   :).

Was there any other information in the letter of 1948?  Is Albert the executor, a beneficiary? 

RK