Author Topic: Re: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845 Part 2  (Read 14977 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Re: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845
« Reply #172 on: Sunday 17 January 16 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Confirm again there's only two Nathanial deaths coming up in transcribed indexes (after Roger's Will 1727) in Yorkshire

1745 Malton occupation skinner
1751 Heslington occupation Householder

No wills indexed

Several others in Wiltshire, Bedfordshire, Somerset, Suffolk Cambridgeshire  (One will in Strood Kent)

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: Sunday 17 January 16 21:05 GMT (UK) »
EDITED: ignore

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: Sunday 17 January 16 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Do you have Roger's will?  I can clearly see that Nathanial is "of Selby Co. of Ebor (i.e. York) but I can't make out where Ann was of?   It look as though William Middleton, Cordwainer (?husband of Elizabeth - had she died?) was of the same place as Ann.  I'm rubbish as reading early Wills!!

Might help search for the needle in the haystack of an "Ann Todd"

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: Sunday 17 January 16 22:50 GMT (UK) »

14th March 1727
Probate of the Will of Roger Hood of Selby

In the name of God Amen I Roger Hood of Selby being weak of Body but of perfect understanding Do make this my last Will and Testament – in manner and form following (Viz.) … I give o’in manner following first I give to my Brother Nathaniel Hood, my Sister Eliz: Middleton & my sister Ann Todd my dwelling house and orchard & appurts thereunto belonging to be equally divided among o’in & Do hereby give and bequeath each of ye above mentioned p’ties an equal share in ye above mentioned house and orchard lyeing or being in Ouzegate I give also to Mr John [unrecognised surname, Mosli Mosley, Masl; Wasl] & Ann Barker liveing in Wren Lane five pounds in Trust for the only use & benefit of my Nephew German Camp to be given to him in such way & proportions as the abovementioned Mr Mosli [Mosley ?] & Ann Barker shall see and think proper to give him I also give to my Nephew German Camp the Bed and Appurts belonging to him standing in the Chamber I also give to my two Neeces Sarah and Mary Camp all the wearing apparrele linnen & wooling belonging to my Late wife Except the Cloak w’ch I give to my sister Middleton. Lastly I appoint my Brother Nathaniel Hood my Sister Middleton & my Sister Todd Exe’trs of this my Last Will & Testam’t. I give o’in all my goods & Chattells debts & Creditts my Legacys debts and funeral Expenses being first discharged In Witness whereof I set my hand & Seal this 14th March 1727/8 Roger Hood. Witness Geo: Hutchinson, Peter Leaper Ann Nutt. [sic].

Roger Hood was buried Selby 18 March 1728.

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: Sunday 17 January 16 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Mark I should have bee more specific, I meant the covering papers when probate was granted when Nathanial, Ann and William signed. It gives their occupations and where they were of

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: Sunday 17 January 16 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello Goughy

Folio attached to 14 March 1727 Roger Hood, Will, in Latin.
Date - III 1727
Nathaniel Hood & Ann Todd mentioned

Burials found in Selby Transcripts
Elizabeth Middleton - 30 Jan 1734 (wife of William)
Ann Todd - died 12 June 1794 Died of Decay of Nature aged 80 & bd in Ch Yard.

Mark

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: Monday 18 January 16 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Ah you found the burials after all!

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: Monday 18 January 16 08:35 GMT (UK) »
Moderator comment: conituned here
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=742806.0

Hello Goughy and dobfarm

Yes, found possible burials (#356) in Selby transcriptions for Elizabeth Middleton and Ann Todd (if correct ones - both nee Hood).

See part of the Wakefield Deeds search response at reply #345 (in relation to the Ousegate property in the Will Roger Hood of Selby at reply #354), re Wakefield Registry reference to Ann Todd's Will.

EDIT - Who Mary Langfield is - a mystery?

Looked on FindMyPast, both:- York ... and the Prerogative ... Courts, no Will / Probate for Ann Todd of Selby?

I'll have to contact Borthwick, but no obvious Ann Todd Will.

Wondering, if George's mother was a Hood and to prevent the Selby/Wistow Hood name ending (apparently ancient, per Wheater's book - Hodd and Hud), John Hood of Selby / George Hood of Selby adopted Hood, rather than their birth surname.

Also, if there really was a George Hood widower (1831 Deed Registry) or if a transcribing error?

EDITED - 'Hood of Selby' could explain (Samuel Hood Barber and Surgeon from Selby buried Thorganby 1st July 1737) http://www.thorganby.co.uk/burials2.htm , why John Hood, Mariner and George Hood's name was fashioned 'Hood of Selby', but neither John or George was a 'Gent'.

Somewhere a Nathaniel Hood must be buried (in Roger Hood's Will).

Not a single Hood in Scarborough St Mary M.I. book of 877 M.I.s, so don't know if the Hood memorial suggested to be inside, is true or not?

Regards Mark