Author Topic: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845 Part 3  (Read 68079 times)

Offline rptaylor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845 Part 3
« Reply #342 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark,

Fantastic news on finding George's burial after so long - persistence certainly does pay off.

Concerning the Texas Hood's, When George Arundel Hood emigrated he started calling himself George Arrington Hood for some reason.... perhaps Arrington will surface again a generation or so further back :-0.

If you don't mind, perhaps you could let me know how to apply for the burial records so I can add it to my Hood files?

Well done again.

Richard

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 Sept 1845 Part 3
« Reply #343 on: Thursday 02 March 17 18:02 GMT (UK) »
This is very much one of those 'breaking news stories' ...

Firstly I would like to say a big Thank You to Oliver for searching the records, Helen of Leeds University Special Collections and all who contributed on this thread.

George Hood Burial Notes Found

"The Quaker Custodian ... has managed to identify an entry in the Selby Burial Notes for George Hood which indicates that he was 'not in membership' (i.e. not a Quaker himself) but was buried in the Friends' Burial Ground at Selby as requested."

"The burial note does not contain a lot of detail apart from the date of death (18/09/1845), date of death registered (19/09/1845) name of grave maker (Andrew Turton), date of burial (21/09/1845).
"

This is all I have at present and will apply for the Burial Notes.

Thank You All

Kind regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: Monday 22 May 17 11:24 BST (UK) »
Nothing new but could bring in the parameters

From an informant

We know George Hood was aged 60 by 1845 at death = Born between 19th Sept 1784 to 18th Sept 1785

From George himself

We know George Hood was aged 28 on the 18th July 1815 born sometime between 19th July 1786 to 19th July 1787 ( George  could have been aged 29 after 19th July 1815)

George Hood baptised 1st Oct 1786 Gateshead

Baptisms normally a few months after birth.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 17:08 BST (UK) »
 Nettleham ?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Article 1809, Linc's just 23 years after George Hood bapt 1786 Gateshead and just before the George Hood (died 1845 Selby) turns up in Selby as a cooper 1812

George Hood br 1786 and (age) 23 years later news article 1809 just before the Cooper, George Hood d John Hood in Gateshead father of above George Hoood bapt 1786 with only that baptism (no other sibling  before or after baptized) if its the same John ? seems to suddenly pop up as a publican at the Ship inn after a short period span and then disappears while other innkeeper/publicans seem to span a number of years either at one public house or a few. If its the same John then being a publican could mean he was like a temp manager (Journeyman Publican) on the move around pubs/inns regional or national.

The Lincoln, Rutland and Stamford Mercury (Stamford, England), Friday, December 08, 1809;  Issue 4107. page 4 of 4

Sale by auction farming stuff  at premises of Mr Hood publican of Redborne (Redboure) Linc's

Reply #101
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=742806.msg5920254#msg5920254

Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 18:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you dobfarm and the 'Informant'

I can see that Lincoln newspaper dated 8th December 1809.
(Also in Lincoln, Rutland, and Stamford Mercury ... 17th November 1809)

At Mr. Hood's, innkeeper, at Redborne, on Saturday the Sixteenth day of December next ...

Have found a Red Lion Inn, Redbourne, so far.

Thank you, Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 18:57 BST (UK) »
In some ways- standing to look back view, a stand in or journeyman publican is a logical option to why there was only one sibling baptism child in Gateshead of this John Hood and why we can't link the said John Hood of the Ship inn to the local Hoods of Gateshead.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
By the way:

The informant is the person who registered George Hood death 1845 aged 60 (2nd hand info) but  where his age given 28 at marriage 1815 was from the prime source itself:- George Hood himself !! and must be help as the more accurate age .

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 20:15 BST (UK) »
Looking for Hood's name.

Pubs and Inns in Bourn, Lincolnshire, so far ...

1800 to 1810

Red Lion, Bourn - (John Watmuff 1794 & British Universal Directory Watmuff John, 1791)
Bull Inn, Bourn - July 1809 Turnpike to Let ... at the house of John Thorp, the Bull Inn, in Bourn. 
Nag's Head Inn, Bourn - To be Sold ... September 1802 in the Tenure of Mr John Cropper.
Nag's Head Inn, Bourn - 1806 Nag's Head, Bourn, For Sale, in the occupation of William Banks.
Nag's Head Inn, Bourn - Feb 1814 William Banks late of the Nag's Head Inn, Bourn, has entered the Five Bells Inn, Falkingham.
Angel Inn, Bourn - October 1810, Of twin sons, the wife of Mr Bott, of the Angel inn, Bourn.

Thomas Shipley of Bourn, Victualler and Grazier, August 1814.

Oh heck, its Redborne / Redbourne we are after!

The above might help someone else!

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 22:19 BST (UK) »

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 22:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks dobfarm

I went off on a tangent there! The pubs on the link start 1842.

Red Lion, in Redbourne, was the House of Widow Whitehead, in a Notice dated 25 July 1805.

Possibly the same Whitehead in the Stamford Mercury, 17 October 1806
A few days ago died at Redbourn, near Spittal, in this county, after a short illness, Mrs. Whitehead, widow, aged 37.

Stamford Mercury, 21st January 1814
North Kelsey Inclosure and Drainage.
 ... that we shall hold our next MEETING at the house of PETER HOOD, in REDBOURNE, in the said county of Lincoln, on MONDAY the Thirty-first day of January instant ...

Looks like Peter Hood, I'll check full name.

Thanks, this isn't a too away from the Cockins of Luddington, is it?

Regards Mark