Author Topic: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845 Part 3  (Read 67942 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845 Part 3
« Reply #378 on: Wednesday 02 October 19 01:35 BST (UK) »
One place trades could be learned with little to no public paper trail knowledge of such training is abroad maybe in USA services or other countries forces  ???. 1811 (or before) to 1815 was a volatile time for the UK as army and navy rank & file.

https://www.luddites200.org.uk/theLuddites.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_1812

Approx  -1811 George appears in Selby from seemingly nowhere with skills by 1815 the time of peace returning ? - 1815 George marries Sarah Russel (Russell) is wife
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: Thursday 03 October 19 11:16 BST (UK) »
Hello dobfarm

Thanks, interesting those comments.

Online books list several Hoods involved in the Jacobean Rebellion around the mid 1740s.

"The Jacobite risings ... was an attempt by Charles Edward Stuart to regain the British throne ... "

The Battle of Prestonpans, Culloden, Bonnie Prince Charlie and marching down the Great North Road in England were all mentioned by my late Grandmother. Bonnie Prince Charlie being Charles Edward Stuart (his short name) died later in exile, in 1788.

However, the Fleur de Lis symbol caused quite a discussion (between Grandmother Hood telling the accounts and my Mum's Father), because Fleur de Lis was contrary to the major landowning Hood of Kirkbridge, Yorks.

Amended: re 1932 Wedding photo, there is a comment here 
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=819609.msg6817795#msg6817795

Unfortunately my Dad had lost his Father and Grandfather by the age of 8. One of our Hood relatives tells me that they knew back to John HOOD = Sarah RICHARDSON of Selby [married 1846].

Awaiting a second Richardson Will (my 5 x Gt Grandfather).

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Re: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845 Part 3
« Reply #380 on: Saturday 26 October 19 15:40 BST (UK) »

Regarding the 20th January 1838 property Conveyance Mrs Bridget Nicholson and Others to Mr James Collinson involving a George Hood, also named in the same as George Hood of Selby Brewer. The parties are:-

The Lease made Between
William Bowland late of Rawcliffe in the Parish of Snaith in the County of York Farmer but now of Hollington in the said county of York Labourer
Abraham Hodgson of the town and county of Kingston upon Hull Gentleman and
Hannah Carter Clark of Howden in the said County of York only child and Heiress at Law of John Clark late of Potter Grange in the Township of Armin and County of York Farmer deceased of the one part and
George Hood of Selby in the County of York aforesaid Brewer of the other part and

the Release made Between
Bridget Nicholson of Rawcliffe aforesaid widow of Samuel Nicholson late of the same place Innkeeper deceased of the first part
Samuel Nicholson of Rawcliffe aforesaid the only Son and Heir at Law of the said Samuel Nicholson deceased of the second part
Samuel Smith of Armin Pastures in the said County of York Gentleman and George Smith of Goole in the said county of York Surgeon the sons of George Smith of Armin Pastures aforesaid Farmer of the third part
William Bowland and Abraham Hodgson of the forth part
Hannah Carter Clark of the fifth part
William Mitton late of Selby in the county of york aforesaid but now of Stamford in the County of Lincoln Gentleman of the sixth part
James Collinson of Selby aforesaid Shoemaker of the seventh part
the said George Hood of the eighth part and
Edward Parker of the same place Gentleman of the ninth part ...

property listed and occupiers

Hello

1826 Howden Marriages
John Clark of Snaith, Gentleman married Hannah Carter, Spinster, by Licence, in the presence of John Carter and two other Carter witnesses.

----------

The above George Hood of Selby, Brewer, is my 4 X Gt. Grandfather.

My 3 X Gt. Grandfather was John Hood of Selby, Tanner, who married Sarah Richardson at Sculcoates in August 1846. Sarah was the Daughter of William Richardson, Watchmaker, who died Selby 1840, (previously of Bubwith at marriage).

----------

My Richardson Watchmaker family in the 19th Century were also at Howden, Malton and Aire Street, Goole.

----------

Some of my other closely related Clock and Watch Maker Richardson graves are at Howden, Yorkshire and the Howden Minster M.I. Book has a Thomas Carter, Brewer and Ann Carter grave adjacent, who links back to a John Carter, marriage at Snaith.

The above Ann Carter (buried Howden) was nee Lady Ann Sykes of Cowick, Snaith (married 1837) and I would be surprised if she was not related to Chester Newby's Executor Reuben Sykes and also a Sykes = Newby, marriage.

More detail here
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=820467.msg6828673#msg6828673

Summary
According to my Richardson graves at Howden and the above, it seems my Sarah Hood, nee Richardson's family were also linked to people previously involved with my George Hood, who married Sarah Russell in 1815 at Selby.

Mark

Offline Alison Beau

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: Tuesday 03 March 20 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi I’m new to this so bear with me! My great grandmother was Bertha Hood (Brooks by marriage) and my great great grandfather was Bernard Pearson Hood. I’m trying to research my family tree and I came across this chat and group. I currently live in Derby and didn’t realise until today that Bernard P Hood was buried down the road at Nottingham Road Cemetery! Please get in touch if we can help each other . Thanks

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: Tuesday 03 March 20 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello Alison

I am not descended from James Hood baptised Selby, who was also at Bishopwearmouh Sunderland (25th September 1863, when James Alfred Hood was born).

James Hood's Son - Bernard Pearson Hood was born 16 Cross Street, Scarborough, [not clear, Thirt ... ] September 1870, Father - James Hood, Tallow Chandler, Mother - Sarah Hood formerly Arundel.

Another Son of James Hood and Sarah Arundel, carries Russell as a middle name.

I descend from John Hood, Tanner (James Hood's Brother), both their baptisms claim they descend from George Hood, who married Sarah Russell at Selby, 1815.

Mark