Author Topic: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845 Part 3  (Read 67986 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Re: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845 Part 3
« Reply #72 on: Saturday 12 March 16 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dave

Thank you.

Yes, the Pickering area is another HOOD cluster.

Hood's Pickering area:-
John Hood, Cornmiller, Costa Mill (alias Hood's Mill), Pickering 1823 Gazeteer Directory.
Middleton, John Hood, a bleacher (1807 Poll Book - Pickering Lythe)
Sinnington, Robert Hood, farmer (1807 Poll Book - Pickering Lythe)
Kirby Misperton 18th Cent.
Edstone, Stephen Hood, Yeoman (1807 Poll Book - Rydale), also earlier, late 18th Century reference.
Ryton 1815 Will
Old Malton
New Malton
Langton by Malton
Settrington, Parish Register
Roger Hood of Selby Will 1727 - amongst the collection of Langton Hall (South of Malton), now in Archive.
Kirkbymoorside
Appleton le Street
Helmsley Blackmoor 1797 (which I presume is Helmsley on A170, West of Pickering)

York paper cat. - Amongst the Bishops Registers 'Register Vernon'
Reg 39, 60v - Will of Ann Marshall of Pickering widow, proved 6 Sept 1809 (listed, but not seen)

Also, another (we ran out of time), Will of Richard Hood, Dec 1802, Kirkby Misperton, V.146, fol.412.

Will of John Hood, June 1815 Kirkby Misperton
I John Hood of Ryton in the County of York Jobber ... my daughter Mary Sunley ... my daughter Ann Gawbry ...my daughter Jane Hodgson ... my daughter Elizabeth Abbot ... and lastly ... I appoint my son Robert Hood and my Son-in-Law Thomas Harrison Sole Executors ... 11th September 1814
Witnessed Rob't Drake, Richard Fox pass'd 5th June 1815

Will of Ann Hood, 1782 New Malton
I Ann Hood of New Malton in the County of York Spinster ... I give and bequeath unto Christopher Stamper of New Malton ... I give and bequeath unto my Nephews and Nieces John, Stephen Harinase [Harinafe or Harinase] ... Elizabeth, Dorothy, Ann and Margaret Stamper ... Nieces Elizabeth Ann and Dorothy Nawton ... Niece Elizabeth Nawton ... Niece Hannah Stamper ... I give and bequeath unto my Cousin Charles Hood ... All that my Messuage Tenement or Dwellinghouse situate in a street called Low Street in New Malton ... now in the occupation of Thomas Nawton as Tenant ... give unto William Stamper and Ann Walton ... said Charles Hood and Elizabeth Stamper Widow ... Charles Hood and Elizabeth Stamper Widow Joint Executors.
Witnesses Jas Preston, Wm Preston, Henry Taylor. Pass'd January 1782

Will of Charles Hood December 1784
Refers to the Tenement, with Barn, Stable and Yard in Low Street, New Malton, occupied by John Sewir, or Lewir and James Gray. Great Nephew was Thomas Fewui or Fewvi, eldest son of Elizabeth.

The only surname recognised in John Hood's 1814/1815 Will, summarised on this post, was HODGSON.

The Hodgson surname appears in the 1838 Selby property Deed mentioning George Hood and the parties in the 1838 Selby property Deed are listed in my reply #63.

However, there were other Kirby Misperton, Helmsley Blackmoor Wills, New Malton Hood Will and 1 Admin - not seen.

Kind regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Saturday 12 March 16 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Have you got or read this Will below

George Hood d 1845 was a just a cooper barrel maker workman by 1815 married Sarah Russel

Then George seems to be in the dosh as a business owner later owner of deeds/property/land
-------------------
Sarah Russel baptism 30 September 1793 Selby father William -mother Mary
---------------
William Russell born 1738 died/burial Wistow 1815
------------------
York Peculiars Probate Index, 1383-1883

William Russell 1815 Will

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/results/world-records/york-peculiars-probate-index-1383-1883?firstname=william&firstname_variants=true&lastname=russell

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Sunday 13 March 16 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you

None of the following Yorkshire Wills /Probate link to Hood of Selby:-
George Hood 1835 Kirby Hill [near Boroughbridge]
John Hood 1793 Scalby [of Stainton Dale]
Ann Hood 1799 Kingston upon Hull (late of Morton Lincs, reference to Gainsbro [Gainsborough] and she was to be interred at Gainsbrough). Reference to a Mrs Atkinson of The Levells, Lincs., [info for Goughy].
Robert Hood August 1835 of Nottingham
Richard Hood Oct 1816 Catwick
John Hood June 1815 Kirkby Misperton
John Hood Oct 1814 Topcliffe [of Baldersby]
John Hood April 1794 [of Baldersby]
Margaret Hood June 1795 Howden [late of Howden, but now of Bubwith]
Ann Hood 1782 New Malton
James Hood Dec 1782 [James Hood in the Parish of Scarborough]
Mary Hood July 1782 Pontefract
Mary Hood May 1795 of Walkeringham Nottinghamshire.
Incidentally, entered separately below in the Register (separate entry, of the one above) was a Probate for a 'Mawhood' of Isleworth in H.M. 72nd Regt of Foot 1770, mainly bequeathed to Francis WOOD.
Charles Hood Dec 1794 New Malton
Matthew Hood Aug 1785 Curation and an Admon, died intestate with child ("a minor aged above Twelve years")  August 1785 Bossall, but entered in the Bulmer area book. Matthew Hood was late of Sand Hutton in the Parish of Bossal.
Matthew Hood Aug 1785 Admon
John Hood Esquire deceased intestate of Bardon Park Leicestershire, Admon (in Act Books) April 1819.
Prerogative Court of York 8th April 1819. Reference to property at Wilford Nottinghamshire (property described, also with field named) concerning residue of a certain term of 500 years originally made and created and which became vested in the said John Hood deceased. Also reference back to 1706 re property at Wilford.

Regarding 1819 John Hood of Bardon Park Admin. We can rule out John Hood of Bardon Park, being buried Selby, because he died 3 February 1792 (per family tree online), which is also confirmed in three newspapers:-
16 February 1792 Bath Chronicle ...
16 February 1792 Derby Mercury
17 February 1792 Stamford Mercury

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Sunday 13 March 16 14:17 GMT (UK) »

-------------------
Sarah Russel baptism 30 September 1793 Selby father William -mother Mary
---------------
William Russell born 1738 died/burial Wistow 1815
------------------
York Peculiars Probate Index, 1383-1883

William Russell 1815 Will

If I remember correctly Sarah's father was a sailor.  Think we already discounted this William Russell.  He was a farmer from Wistow.  Will left to his wife Ann, son George and daughter Mary
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Sunday 13 March 16 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello Goughy, dobfarm, Bumblebee and All

Quote from: BushInn1746 on Tuesday 12 January 16 16:53 GMT (UK)

"and a Military George Hood born Burniston in TNA, Kew, WO series (War Office) records."

[Goughy's comment]
"As an aside and its  interesting what "turns-up" when researching.  This George Hood born Burniston turns out to be the one who died in Leeds in 1845! (i.e. the one who was identified in the newspapers when you did your first post back in August.)"

If the Military George Hood dying Leeds 5th September 1845 aged 63 was born at "Burniston", that is North of Scarborough.

The York Herald 13 September 1845
[above the death entry it says "On Friday, the 5th instant"] "Same day, aged 63 years, Mr. George Hood, of Leeds, formerly a Serjeant in the 7th Regiment of Foot."

There are Manor of Selby, Selby Abbey and Mariner records, to be seen.

Thank you, for all the suggestions, research and time spent.

Kind regards Mark

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Sunday 13 March 16 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Quote from: BushInn1746 on Tuesday 12 January 16 16:53 GMT (UK)

"and a Military George Hood born Burniston in TNA, Kew, WO series (War Office) records."

[Goughy's comment]
"As an aside and its  interesting what "turns-up" when researching.  This George Hood born Burniston turns out to be the one who died in Leeds in 1845! (i.e. the one who was identified in the newspapers when you did your first post back in August.)"

If the Military George Hood dying Leeds 5th September 1845 aged 63 was born at "Burniston", that is North of Scarborough.

The York Herald 13 September 1845
[above the death entry it says "On Friday, the 5th instant"] "Same day, aged 63 years, Mr. George Hood, of Leeds, formerly a Serjeant in the 7th Regiment of Foot."

I gleaned that snippet of information from on-line military records, so just re-confirming George born in Burniston is definitely the one dying in Leeds.
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Monday 14 March 16 08:01 GMT (UK) »
A recap ...

If my "George Hood of Selby" is linked to the following:-
"Jane Wife of John Hood of Selby Mariner" (bur. 15 August 1803, aged 65) and John Hood "Abode Selby" (buried Selby 4 April 1819 aged 82) and Maudland Hood "Morland dau of John Hood of Selby, Mariner by Elizth his wife, dau of John Spencer of Scarbro' Mariner." We hope they will turn out to be related and lead to a George Hood somewhere.

An Elizabeth Hood was buried St Mary's Scarborough 1775. Goughy (I think) suggested this burial of Elizabeth Hood may be linked to the birth of Maudland Hood.

Then we have this 1778 intent to marry, "John Hood of Scarborough in the County of York Mariner " to Sarah, but the intent is John Hood of Scarborough and also a Sarah, not a Jane, so could be another John Hood mariner.

Date and place unknown - George Hood of Selby being born somewhere.

Then 15 August 1803 Jane Wife of John Hood of Selby Mariner aged 65, buried at Selby Churchyard.

It is the John Hood of Selby, Mariner to Jane (the Jane Hood buried Selby 1803) marriage, which is of interest, first. The marriage occurring somewhere between 1775 and 1803.

Because the Port of Selby (for Customs arrangements) and places along the river came under the Port of Hull, if George was born on a boat, or port along the Ouse, his birth may be registered at Hull?

Are the Hull Registers and also the Sculcoates Register scans online, please?

Kind regards, Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: George Hood Burial where? Died Selby, Yorks 18 September 1845
« Reply #79 on: Monday 14 March 16 11:02 GMT (UK) »
The headache is who the heck was Jane Hood burial 1803 Selby wife of John Hood the mariner.

The burial place of George Hood and dobfarm's quote here, sums up my dilemma perfectly.

The Borthwick say and my Selby Parish transcriptions, only add that she was 65 years of age, at burial 15th August 1803. (Selby transcriptions say - 'Died aged 65 & bd in the Ch Yard').

The B.T. scan "Jane Wife of John Hood of Selby Mariner AUG't 15 "

I wonder if a gravestone survives, which might / might not add anything, probably not, knowing my luck!

Kind regards, Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Monday 14 March 16 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Recap

John Hood signature is the yardstick or his mark on marriages of John Hood

John Hood X Elizabeth Spencer marriage unknown or not known if ever happened

Possible Elizabeth Spencer married Mr Leppington, he died, and she then married John Hood as Elizabeth Leppington widow nee Spencer (*Goughy  may expand info) Scarborough-(Signature needed here of this John Hood)

Maudland Hood - bapt  1775 married Mr Turner of Selby

George Hood history pre 1812 unknown

John Hood burial 1819 occupation unknown (Could be another John Hood)

John Hood a mariner husband of Jane Hood burial 1803 Selby
(details and date of Marriage to John Hood the mariner unknown)

John Hood a sea going captain will have had records with his signature (Pack boat/coaster ship records Hull / London)

George Hood d 1845 Selby born Yorkshire 1841 census

1787 baptism Gateshead father John Hood is Durham and no known history of this George after baptism of him.

George Hood marriage aged 28 b 1786 on bond allegation in 1815 given by George himself

George death 1845 Selby age 60 ish given by informant

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth