Author Topic: Jane Curry born c 1820 Slaley Northumberland and father Oliver Curry  (Read 1142 times)

Offline laurenbavin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Curry born c 1820 Slaley Northumberland and father Oliver Curry
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 February 16 02:59 GMT (UK) »
Oh in answer to your first question - Albert's Aunt who moved to Australia was Isabella Reed - Daughter of William and Jane Reed ( nee Curry) .
I could be barking totally up the wrong tree but Albert stated in his letter that Lionel Goodwin was his 2nd cousin. So Albert and Lionels Great Grandparents would be the common ancestor. 
I am almost 100% sure this match is on Lionels Maternal side ( Albert mentions "Lionels mother might know the relative that moved to Australia") and thats why I'm excited that I might finally find out who Lionels mother actually is.
What I have on her is as follows

Mary Ann Gleeson - Grew up Dublin but on childrens birth certs it says born Leeds England c 1860
Emigrated to New Zealand in 1875 from Kings County Ireland
Ive looked into every birth of a Mary Ann Gleeson in the Leeds area in the years around 1860 and ordered the birth cert of the one I felt most likely to be her but sadly it was not her. I seem to be able to trace all the others through the 1870s in England so Im stumped going back that way - so finding a way through the Reeds seems a great clue.

Who was it that died - I dont know I havent found confirmed deaths for either of Alberts parents so it could be them but I cant find them in the 1939 register- and by the lat 1940s when the letter was written both of them would be nearly 100 - so its likely one of his siblings or a younger aunt or uncle.
Goodwin, Middlebrook, Farrer, Mclellan,Poole,Bavin

Offline laurenbavin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 February 16 03:01 GMT (UK) »
Rather odd then, that a Robert Curry had a daughter Jane baptised in December 1819 Slaley as well?
Also cannot locate a marriage of any Oliver Curry marrying in Northumberland or Durham +/- 25 years of the birth date of Jane, and no baptisms with him as a father?
Keyboard86

EDIT also rather odd one of the children of William/Jane was a Robert and no Oliver?

True it is odd . Id hoped with the name Oliver he would stick out like  a sore thumb- Without actually seeing the entry that Family Search has its hard to know . If Robert was Janes father would he not be listed as Father in Law in the census rather than lodger????

Offline laurenbavin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 February 16 03:29 GMT (UK) »
Marriage of William Reed and Jane Curry was registered Dec 39 in Easingham Durham . I may have to resort to ordering cert to confirm Oliver.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 February 16 04:26 GMT (UK) »
Durham records Online has the marriage:

http://www.durhamrecordsonline.com/SearchResults.php

I think if you pay to view you get a transcribed copy of the record, but you may wish to check that as I may be wrong. At £3 it is cheaper than a certificate ...

"Oliver" may be an error when transcribed. It might be worth checking the original film to see if an obvious mistake was made (name taken from the line above or below for example) ....

Probably easiest to order the marriage certificate.  :-\

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 29 February 16 04:27 GMT (UK) »
10 Nov 1839 William Reed, bachelor, farmer, of full age, of Cassop, son of George Reed, farmer, married Jane Curry, spinster, full age, of Cassop, daughter of Robert Curry, mason, by license
Witnesses: Mary Hutchinson, Cuthbert Allison

I have seen the LDS make mistakes on their transcriptions

You should be able to look up the license on Family search  515 of 630 when you get to 1839.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 29 February 16 04:31 GMT (UK) »
Good find Janis!

Offline laurenbavin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 29 February 16 05:21 GMT (UK) »
OH GREAT FIND!!- Id gone back and looked at all of this and was coming to that conclusion - that the LDS had made an error - because the names of the first four children are Ann George, Robert and Frances - all 4 of the parents names!- THANKS for that - If you ever need anything looked up in New Zealand Ill be on it for you!!

Offline laurenbavin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 29 February 16 06:27 GMT (UK) »
Janis where do I look at Family Search for those licenses?? 
10 Nov 1839 William Reed, bachelor, farmer, of full age, of Cassop, son of George Reed, farmer, married Jane Curry, spinster, full age, of Cassop, daughter of Robert Curry, mason, by license
Witnesses: Mary Hutchinson, Cuthbert Allison

I have seen the LDS make mistakes on their transcriptions

You should be able to look up the license on Family search  515 of 630 when you get to 1839.

Janis