Author Topic: My Dads WW2 photo album 1942 -1946  (Read 2850 times)

Offline cbhasin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My Dads WW2 photo album 1942 -1946
« on: Tuesday 01 March 16 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi,My dad was in the North Staffordshire Regiment, The royal warwickshire and the durham light infantry during WW2 according to my mum. Did men change regiments? I have a photograph album with photos of my dad with several others and would love to share with other people(no names on the back unfortunately) but wondered if there were web sites where you could do that.? Several are sports teams football and athletic and i can see they are North staffs reg.
Any suggestions would be very appreciated
Christine

Offline Drew5233

• RootsChat Veteran
  • How Many Hours in Spits?
    • View Profile
Re: My Dads WW2 photo album 1942 -1946
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 March 16 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi,My dad was in the North Staffordshire Regiment, The royal warwickshire and the durham light infantry during WW2 according to my mum. Did men change regiments?

All the time...They were sent where they were needed for a number of reasons. If he was in the Infantry for all of his career he would have probably replaced casualties or moved on if the battalion was disbanded.

Do you have a copy of his service records?

Cheers
Andy

Offline cbhasin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 March 16 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply Andy no i dont have my dads service record but i do have his number. His mother my gran kept a scrap book during the war so i have a list of where he served and some of the photos i have were taken in Italy in 1945. Would it be my mum who would have to apply for the record (shes 89)?
Christine

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 March 16 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Can you post any of his football photographs, please?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Drew5233

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 March 16 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply Andy no i dont have my dads service record but i do have his number. His mother my gran kept a scrap book during the war so i have a list of where he served and some of the photos i have were taken in Italy in 1945. Would it be my mum who would have to apply for the record (shes 89)?
Christine

If his wife (your mother) is still alive you can apply in her name and just get her to sign the form and have the records sent to your home address. The records are free to living wives/husbands.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 March 16 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi,My dad was in the North Staffordshire Regiment, The royal warwickshire and the durham light infantry during WW2 according to my mum. Did men change regiments?

All the time...They were sent where they were needed for a number of reasons. If he was in the Infantry for all of his career he would have probably replaced casualties or moved on if the battalion was disbanded.

Cheers
Andy

All the time ...... You can say that again!

I tried to follow three of my relatives during WWI, specifically because I wanted to know where they were on the date they were gassed, injured or killed.  I  became so confused by the movements, disbandments and joinings up that I gave in and called it a day.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Drew5233

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 09:04 GMT (UK) »

Cheers
Andy

All the time ...... You can say that again!

I tried to follow three of my relatives during WWI, specifically because I wanted to know where they were on the date they were gassed, injured or killed.  I  became so confused by the movements, disbandments and joinings up that I gave in and called it a day.

I don't envy you. I stay clear as much as possible from researching WW1 chaps for people. With WW2 soldiers it's easy (used loosely), you just follow the service record trail and get the appropriate unit war diaries. With WW1 you are always going to struggle as most WW1 service records were destroyed in the Blitz.

Offline cbhasin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for replies. I am very lucky my Nan kept a scrap book and listed where my dad was stationed . I even have a newspaper cutting from the local shrewsbury paper giving details of when he was wounded and flown home.
On The football team one i assume NSR means North Staffordshire Regiment.
On the athletics one im not sure you will be able to see the logo on their shirts.Its like a line curving round to form two circles underneath then V11 under that ?

I have numerous photos of dad with many other men in Italy ( Cortina and Venice ) would love to share with anyone researching family tree if they know there relative was in same regiment. Perhaps i should look for genealogist websites or post more on here ?. i will research a bit

Thanks
Christine

Offline Drew5233

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 14:43 GMT (UK) »
unfortunately they are too small to look for any clues.