Author Topic: Free passengers on convict ship "Mary Anne" 1816?  (Read 5334 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Free passengers on convict ship "Mary Anne" 1816?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 March 16 03:47 GMT (UK) »
17 June 1822

William JONES aged 35, Bachelor of Sydney, a Labourer, (Signed X) and
Sarah HALL, aged 35, a Widow, of Sydney (Signed X) were married by Banns.
The marriage was registered in St Philips, Sydney, by William Cowper

Witnesses were Jacob ISAACS (signed X) and Esther ISAACS (signed)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 March 16 07:39 GMT (UK) »
JM, Thanks for the info you've unearthed. It looks like the Col Sec Papers were the source of the info on Jen Willetts' site.

I agree, William James/William Jones are one and the same.

You can see my dilemma - Sarah Hall (nee Brooks), wife of Thomas Hall, arrived on the Mary Ann in 1816 to join her husband. (Three children with her, Mary Ann, Sophia and Harriet, the other 3 you found born here.) Thomas drowned in 1821, Sarah married William Jones 1822, William Jones died 1867, Sarah Jones died 1872, both buried in unmarked graves in Fordwich Cemetery - I have their death certificates. And William Hall is also buried there. He died in 1849.

Thanks for finding other possibilities for the other Sarah  Hall, wife of William Hall - the problem is that the various census/musters say she came free on the Mary Ann in either 1814 (there was no voyage that year) or 1816 - the same ship that Sarah Brooks/Hall/Jones came on.

Cheers
Jan
England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 March 16 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it is a dilemma.

Yes, it is very likely that Jen's finds were based on Col Sec Papers.  That set has been available for decades.
Agh, they were a Bi-centennial project
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/colonial-secretarys-correspondence-guide/introduction/introduction#the-publication-of-the

I wonder if seeking William HALL and Sarah (Baulkham Hills 1828 Census) will help separate out some of the details.

I will try that. 

After the 1788-1825 series,
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/colonial-secretarys-correspondence-guide/introduction/introduction#the-letters-received-and

then there's  1826- 1966 series
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/colonial-secretarys-correspondence-guide/colonial-secretarys-correspondence and several indexes there too.

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 03 March 16 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Err 
How many chaps named William HALL were around in the 1810s and 1820s .... lots

William HALL, came free per Anne Feb 1810, a Missionary, came with his wife.   Noticing ship of arrival includes the word "Anne"  ::)

Oct 1814 muster,  William Hall, per Anne 2, came free, missionary, mustering at Parramatta, off stores

Sept 1825, William Hall, per Ann 1810, Landholder, Sydney.

1828 Census
William Hall, 50 Protestant, at Melville and Cooke (so JM notes this is in the area west of Blacktown towards Emu Plains/Penrith)  He owns the land, 2 horses, 161 cattle,  and he is a School Master.   His wife is Dina HALL aged 50, who came free per Anne 1810.   

With them are their children.  ..... You need to be good with mental Arthurmagictrickerals here ....
Dina Hall, aged 13 (1828-13 = 1815, remember her mum and her dad arrived 1810) arrived per Vansittart, came free, protestant, daughter of William Hall,
Henry Hall, aged 9, protestant, arrived per Boddington 1824, son of William Hall arrived per Boddington 1824
John Hall, aged 7 protestant, arrived per Boddington 1824, came free, son of William Hall

The above family is obviously NOT your Sarah HALL but I am including them (there are other families too,) as they are in the 1828 census as a family group and there's something wrong in the chronology data. 

1828 Nov Census
Sarah and William HALL
, Baulkham Hills. (perhaps died 1872, Singleton NSW):
Sarah HALL, 39, Protestant, per Mary Ann 1814, came free, wife of William Hall, residing Baulkham Hills.
William Hall, 45, TofL, Life, Ocean 1816, settler, Catholic.
Notice that William Hall signed the document and the signature was witnessed by James Elliott.
Jacobus A Erasmus, 36, Catholic per Mary 1827, y years, Overseer to Mrs Hall,
Hugh Sinclair 24, Protestant, per Mangles 1827, 14 years, servant to Mrs Hall.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G961-QY2H?mode=g&i=42&wc=3F9D-DPV%3A1584015501%3Fcc%3D2177300&cc=2177300
and
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L961-QBWP?mode=g&i=36&wc=3F9D-DPV%3A1584015501%3Fcc%3D2177300&cc=2177300

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 03 March 16 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Is this the tragic loss of Thomas HALL, husband of your Sarah?

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/2180271  Sydney Gaz 19 May 1821.

Cheers,  JM

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 03 March 16 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Yes, poor Sarah was left with five children and a sixth on the way.

Thanks for pointing out William's signature on the 1828 census - I hadn't noticed that :-)

Sorry I forgot to mention that Thomas and William Hall both came out on the Ocean in 1816.

Jan
England:
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 03 March 16 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Some more about the 'other' William Hall family from the 1828 Census.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/2214820 Sydney Gazette 21 Nov 1833.    That William Hall, a  School Master, there had been a tragedy for the family.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/12843148  Sydney Herald 13 June 1831, the lad had been vaccinated here in Sydney, and was in England being educated, but succumbed to small pox.

I am including these cuttings and sightings of the 'other' William Hall, to help reduce confusion with any sightings of William and/or Sarah HALL of Baulkham Hills.   

Even in 2016, Baulkham Hills is not that far from Blacktown.  Western Road across to Windsor Road via Seven Hills  from as early as late 1790s .... 

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 03 March 16 12:43 GMT (UK) »
http://austcemindex.com/inscription?id=7902272  Memorial mentioning the 1849 burial of William HALL, Fordwich Cemetery

Cheers,  JM. 

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 03 March 16 23:59 GMT (UK) »
William Jones and Sarah Brooks/Hall/Jones are there too!
England: