Author Topic: Richard Hill - born in Yorkshire - ~1810  (Read 6930 times)

Offline sandrastocks54

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Hill - born in Yorkshire - ~1810
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 06 March 16 16:59 GMT (UK) »
That's an excellent observation, Sallyyorks, and makes perfect sense.  I hope Stephanie can follow it up in Indiana

Sandra

Offline Beatles78

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 06 March 16 17:28 GMT (UK) »
He certainly did, Dave! He definitely has remained elusive for decades, that's for sure. I wish my great grandpa was around when my dad was born, as he knew his grandpa Richard Hill (he lived with him when his dad died) and even named his son (my grandpa) John Richard after him. My father's name is Richard Hill as well....which makes this chase all the more personal to me! Thanks Dave I will not discount his 1810 birthdate then yet.

Sandra, yeah that is crazy about the immigration record and my Chapman relatives on that passenger list as well! I wonder if he knew them in England, or right, met them on the ship. I also wonder if they then just make the journey out to Indiana and didn't settle anywhere in between. I know that his future wife was born in Butler County and then moved out to IN....wonder if she met Richard there and they then all moved out there together. It's fun to think about because right, since his wife didn't know his parents names.....maybe the Chapmans didn't know Richard in England.

That is a very interesting point as I just assumed it was London, England! Question is...would a man in his 30s serve an apprenticeship? I will have to see what i can find.

Thanks!
Stephanie

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 06 March 16 20:08 GMT (UK) »
That is a very interesting point as I just assumed it was London, England! Question is...would a man in his 30s serve an apprenticeship? I will have to see what i can find.

I'm not sure that the record states that. I think that the record states that Richard served an apprenticeship in London at an indeterminate time.

On a different tack I have a gut feeling that Richard was a foundling or illegitimate and came to the Workhouse at Dent when he was young. I don't know if records exist but the local history group might be able to help you there and indeed with Richard's birth/baptism. I don't see any Hill names on the burial registers for Dent, they may be able to help you there as well.

Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Beatles78

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 06 March 16 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Dave, right...but he was born 1810-1813 and got to Indiana sometime before 1843. So he would have been at least 30 years old when he got to Indiana....that's why it seems doubtful he would have had an internship in Indiana rather than London, England before he immigrated.

It's perfectly possible he was illegitimate or a foundling. That would break my heart but I am dying to know how he became Richard Hill. If that is the case, Hill name could have come from his caregivers? Could you point me in the direction the local history group who could possibly help me with the birth/baptism records you are referring to who could i go to for help?

Thank you!
Stephanie

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 06 March 16 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Stephanie
Just Google 'Dent History' there are several sites there that you could contact.

Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 06 March 16 22:07 GMT (UK) »

Thanks!
Stephanie

Why do you think he was in his 30's?

About the possible "Dent" connection mentioned. There is this christening at Hubberholme, which is about 20 miles from Dent. Though a place of birth could be quite a distance from the church christened in, especially in remote areas like the Yorkshire dales

Richard Hill
Christening Date 01 Jan 1811
Christening Place HUBBERHOLME,YORK,ENGLAND
Father's Name Thomas Hill

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Arichard~%20%2Bsurname%3Ahill~%20%2Bbirth_place%3Ayorkshire~%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1810-1811~

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 06 March 16 22:42 GMT (UK) »
That's an excellent observation, Sallyyorks, and makes perfect sense.  I hope Stephanie can follow it up in Indiana

Sandra

I think it is worth considering because the Indiana London seems to have been central to a lot of road and canal projects. 10,000 men were employed on the canals at one time and I expect many of them were from England. Maybe Richard went to the area as a young man to work on these construction projects and then decided he had a fancy to be a butcher. Perhaps as part of butchering meat to serve all the labourers with food

This is a map of the Indiana construction projects at about the date 1836, London was somewhere about Shelbyville
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Mammoth_Internal_Improvement_Act

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 06 March 16 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Is / was there a canal near Dent ?

Dave

Offline Beatles78

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 06 March 16 23:37 GMT (UK) »
I said he was in his 30s because if he was an apprentice in London, IN, he would have been 30 as he immigrated in 1841, and was born between 1810-1813.  So that's why i'm doubting he was an apprentice in Indiana as opposed to one in England before he immigrated.

Hi Sally! I actually DID see that christening entry with thomas being the father. I was unable to rule that one out not being my richard also. The interesting thing is that my Richard's second Son's name was Thomas. His first son's name (my ancestor) was George C. which we think was named after his wife's father (George Chapman.) So this christening made me think that it could be possible that was his father and named his second son after him? plus, it's close to Dent....and what if his birthday was actually november 3, 1810 instead of march 11, 1810? that christening date would be possible then...