Author Topic: Spidery Writing  (Read 2944 times)

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
Re: Spidery Writing
« Reply #9 on: Friday 04 March 16 12:32 GMT (UK) »
I'd expect a capital "T" for Terrace . . looks like -

Bals turill .. Bals firill .. that "t" could be an"f" and there's a dot implying "i" .. Bals field?

edit: there's a Ballustree near Lusk . . ??
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 04 March 16 13:11 GMT (UK) »
All of the entries have addresses on the northside in and around Santry, Drumcondra, Fairview, Donnycarney and so on.

..  all of the addresses on this page are northside and all within what was probably the catchment area for Fairview RC. I know that in the late 1800's Fairview RC parish covered  a large area of mostly rural north city. It certainly covered parts of Glasnevin, Drumcondra, Clontarf and at least as far as Whitehall at that time and so may well have extended to parts of Santry and Coolock.

John Grenham's book says that Fairview was constituted 1879 (and I've a little note beside it saying "from Clontarf - which included Artane, Coolock and Santry.)
James Ryan's book says .. for earlier records of Artane, Fairview, Coolock, Killester, Raheny - see Clontarf

It looks as if the records you're looking at might be Clontarf?
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 04 March 16 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Fairview
http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0477

Clearly the baptism image is the same as the one showing up under St.Andrews on Irish Genealogy, very odd.
The marriages only start in 1879 but perhaps they will be someone with the same address.
I'll have a look later.

Offline hotfix123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 04 March 16 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Eadaoin.
I take your point and yes, you're right, terrace would have a capitol "T" and so it is likely to be one word.
Is it OK to attach the full marriage record just for handwriting recognition. It's really not easy to read but might help in comparing letters in various words.
One of the few words which is reasonably legible is "Fairview" and the Rev. Philip Carberry was a curate in Fairview at that time and living next door to the church.
The address "The Tap" also has me really puzzled. Because it appears on both the marriage record and the later baptismal record for their son James in 1880 so I'd be reasonably sure it is in the Clontarf/Fairview parish area and isn't connected to The Tap pub which still exists and is on the corner of Church Street/Nth King St. If Anne was living in Church Street the marriage and later baptism would probably have been in St Michans or St Pauls parishes.

Thanks for all your help

Cheers
Phil
Murphy; Avoca, Wicklow & Dublin City. Harling; Dublin & Meath. Grimes; Dublin. Potter; Dublin. Eccles; Dublin. Hanlon; Swords, Dublin & Royal Artillery. Hood; Ballinderry, Antrim & Royal Artillery. Whitlow; Woolwich, London & Royal Artillery

Offline campiom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 12 May 16 22:36 BST (UK) »
The following death notice from The Freemans Journal Dec 11th 1877

"Salmon-Dec 10, Thomas Salmon, formerly of The Tap, Santry. His remains will be removed from Middleton, Santry, to Glasnevin Cemetery, to-morrow (Wednesday) R.I.P."

I’m curious to know the rank or profession of the two fathers on the marriage certificate.

Regards,

Michael Campion.