Author Topic: Spidery Writing  (Read 2918 times)

Offline hotfix123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Spidery Writing
« on: Thursday 03 March 16 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
I know this is a long shot, but.....
I'm attaching an excerpt from a marriage record. The marriage took place in Fairview RC, Dublin in 1878. The couple were Anne Fulton & Christopher Hanley. Fairview was presumably Anne's parish. I'm trying to read the Place of Residence for both but can't make out either. For Anne it looks like "The Tap". She was a servant so that possibly could be the name of her place of employment. I've looked at the OSI historic 25' map but can't see anything resembling  "The Tap" in that area.
After the marriage they lived in the Santry/Ballymun/Collinstown area. So Christopher may have lived in that area prior to marriage and the place of residence for him could possibly be Balcurris which is a townland in that area. But it doesn't really look like it.
So any suggestions as to what either place of residence could be would be gratefully received.

Cheers
Phil
Murphy; Avoca, Wicklow & Dublin City. Harling; Dublin & Meath. Grimes; Dublin. Potter; Dublin. Eccles; Dublin. Hanlon; Swords, Dublin & Royal Artillery. Hood; Ballinderry, Antrim & Royal Artillery. Whitlow; Woolwich, London & Royal Artillery

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Spidery Writing
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 March 16 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Is this there son James born 1880 also with The Tap address
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/3db1b50031073

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 March 16 21:07 GMT (UK) »
There was a pub called The Tap

http://www.dublincity.ie/image/libraries/058-tap

which is now apartments with the same name

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-sale/smithfield/the-tap-north-king-street-smithfield-dublin-1155434/

I can't find any history of it but it might point towards a pub of that name being there in the 1800s

Offline hotfix123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 March 16 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Sinann,

Yes, Thank you very much, that is definitely the same family. The sponsor James Bolger was also best man at the wedding. That baptism was on the 20th February but I have also found a baptism for him on the 24th February 1880 in Santry. I suppose he could have been baptised in Holles Street and it was registered in St Andrews which is close by. My wife who was born in the mid fifty's (she'll kill me for that) was born in Holles Street and brought from the hospital to St Andrews for baptism the day after birth and while her mother was still hospitalised, even though it wasn't her parish.

Mathewj64

Yep, I knew about the pub "The Tap" but thought it unlikely the name of a pub would be listed on church records as somebody's home address. However, maybe you are on to something. Maybe the pub took it's name from something in the locality (rather than the obvious connection between a pub and a tap). I'll have to look into that.

Thanks a million for that

Cheers
Phil
Murphy; Avoca, Wicklow & Dublin City. Harling; Dublin & Meath. Grimes; Dublin. Potter; Dublin. Eccles; Dublin. Hanlon; Swords, Dublin & Royal Artillery. Hood; Ballinderry, Antrim & Royal Artillery. Whitlow; Woolwich, London & Royal Artillery

Offline hotfix123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 March 16 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Back Again.

I've read through all the entries on the image of the church register page on which the record of James Hanley's baptism is;

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/3db1b50031073

All of the entries have addresses on the northside in and around Santry, Drumcondra, Fairview, Donnycarney and so on.
I think these records may have been mistakenly attributed to St Andrews and may actually refer to Fairview RC. St Andrews is on the south side of the city but all of the addresses on this page are northside and all within what was probably the catchment area for Fairview RC. I know that in the late 1800's Fairview RC parish covered  a large area of mostly rural north city. It certainly covered parts of Glasnevin, Drumcondra, Clontarf and at least as far as Whitehall at that time and so may well have extended to parts of Santry and Coolock.
While Holles St Maternity Hospital is within St Andrews parish The Rotunda hospital on the northside would have been far nearer and more convenient for northsiders. So, on balance, I doubt these records actually do refer to St Andrews or have anything to do with Holles St.
This probably suggests that "The Tap" wherever it is, or was, was within the catchment area of Fairview RC. Although that doesn't narrow it down much.

Gone again
Phil

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 March 16 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Re your wife's baptism, there was a time babies weren't allowed home until they were baptised, it usually happened in the hospital. Our priest at the time (the 50s, Co.Kildare) complained he never got to do any baptisms so my dad who wanted to get some of the repair work that was happening in the church decided his new son would be baptised in the local church, the hospital ( Holles St.) kicked up a right fuss but dad insisted and got his way, on the second baby my mother hid in the toilets when the mothers were called to bring their babies for baptism.
Dad didn't get the work and the other new father's weren't too happy with him as the priest expected them all to bring their babys home for baptism. :D

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 March 16 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Use the previous button a few times on that link to the baptism and you get
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/display-pdf.jsp?pdfName=st_andrews_mf_1838-1880_ba_0612
Parish of Fairview

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 March 16 23:45 GMT (UK) »
I keep thinking the other place could be something terrace!

Offline hotfix123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 March 16 02:13 GMT (UK) »
Fair play to you Sinann.
So yep, although it says St Andrews it's wrong and actually Fairview. I hope that's the only page that is wrongly attributed to St Andrews or it could cause great confusion.
Now that you say it yes it could be 2 separate words and the more I look at it the more I think you're right. Look at the previous column, "Rank or Profession", the R's in labourer and servant are similar to the 3rd & 4th letters in the second word. So it could very well be terrace. So now I have to figure out the 1st word.
But that can wait till tomorrow.
Thanks for all your help and please keep it coming.

Night All
Phil