Author Topic: Puzzle in Milford Junction / Aberford  (Read 6055 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Puzzle in Milford Junction / Aberford
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 01:42 GMT (UK) »
As I said earlier !! you'll need to check the abodes in Sherburn in Elmet PR's of Elizabeth Wilson bapt 1838 and George Wilson bapt 1842

There is another William Wilson and Ann in Barkston Ash in Sherburn in Elmet parish for George Wilson baptized 1842 (birth year 1843 on 1851 census but no Elizabeth b 1837 ish on 1841c for this couple)

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QKVP-HR84

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQP2-43R
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 02:24 GMT (UK) »
Great advice.

Is it me or do the children seem rather spread out. Seems a bit of a "modern" distribution; normally there's children every year or so...

What I would say is that the birth year for George on the 1841 census does not match the baptism on the IGI. From this, do we understand there was a delay before baptism?

I believe there was forms of contraception birth control using animal intestines or bladder skins early 19th century and a sort of a hit and miss affair by all accounts with gaps in years of children
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 14:28 GMT (UK) »
That is so amazing – many thanks indeed.

I don't know why this one has been difficult to work out. Perhaps because of the movement around parishes. I have also failed to spot this marriage in Birkin; again, I don't know why.

Must try harder!
Possibly, but the movement of parishes between different local government areas can't have helped either.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Well Elizabeth Coldwell nee Wilson was fairly decisive about her birth place, maybe the only way is to find some infomation with parents with mother maiden names to work from !! would be birth certificates-costly, but would have address, father occupation and better placed in your knowledge for your quest

Offline scatchardfamily

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 March 16 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Exactly which certificates would you recommend?

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 11 March 16 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Exactly which certificates would you recommend?

All I can only advise:- is work from your own research and judgment on what you know about Elizabeth. (nee Wilson) Coldwell

Check infant GRO death/parish burials against births in GRO index list also with Parish burial dates against the quarters of GRO index of near years of a GRO birth index.

First step is to acquire a parish baptism entry event copy from the original church register to see the abode of the parents in the parish (The abode could be in an adjoining parish near the researched parish boundary)

The GRO district that covers South Milford ? will be a starting point to choose like Tadcaster  (Not Tadcaster parish) GRO district that seems most likely district to find South Milford in its Sherburn in Elmet parish list.

Pontefract maybe the original parent district (See table 2 box 'k' in Tadcaster list changes dates)

If in any doubt contact todays Pontefract register office for further uptodate advice

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/tadcaster.html

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/Sherburninelmet/

Offline scatchardfamily

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 11 March 16 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you once again for all the helpful suggestions.

All I'm saying is that Elizabeth is unlikely to have a birth certificate. I have her marriage and that would not give her mother's maiden name.

I could, however, try for later siblings...

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 11 March 16 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Using FindMyPast, I can't see the baptisms in Sherburn in Elmet (BTs too early and parish records too late), but:

George Wilson - baptised 31 May 1835 at Monk Fryston - son of William (Labourer) and Ann Wilson of Burton Salmon.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 11 March 16 18:01 GMT (UK) »
I have traced my ancestry to an Elizabeth Wilson, born 1837/8 in Breighton and married Thomas Coldwell in 1859 in Brayton. She shows up on census there forwards married and with children. It's the getting back that's the problem.

Her marriage certificate says father is William. There is a baptism in 1838 in Sherburn in Elmet, seems to be her. However, the only eligible couple appears to be a William Wilson married to Abigail in Aberford.

And then the problems begin. There is another Wilson family, with another Elizabeth, living in Aberford and another baptism a year before. People on Ancestry are muddled and I just can't cut through it.

Can anyone suggest a scenario for the elusive Elizabeth Wilson?

Curtesy of BumbleB

Sherburn in Elmet parish Baptism entry in bishops transcript's

Baptised 13 May, 1838 - born 24 April 1838- Elizabeth - William and Ann Wilson of Milford, Labourer ***

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JW29-SYC

??? Also George Wilson - baptised 31 May 1835 at Monk Fryston - son of William (Labourer) *** and Ann Wilson of Burton Salmon.

Your post 2

your Quote

Sensible suggestions.

On the cert it says William Wilson was a Labourer*** (marriage certificate 1859)
~~~~~~~~
Birth certificates started 1837 so Elizabeth should have one

Now you have a date of birth - born 24 April 1838 for Elizaberth Wilson contact Pontefract register office. (Birth Certificate with Mothers maiden name will answer William & Ann Wilson marriage names)

Pontefract register office
Town Hall
 Bridge Street
 Pontefract
 West Yorkshire
 WF8 1PG 
Tel: 01977 722 670

:)