Author Topic: The Bates Family  (Read 1232 times)

Offline Tuggybear

• RootsChat Member
  • The future is all about the past
    • View Profile
The Bates Family
« on: Monday 07 March 16 14:39 GMT (UK) »
hi Everyone, I was wondering if anyone can shed any light on my Bates family. My Grandma, annie Elizabeth Beckett nee Prince married Thomas Bates in 1921. they had lived together since at least 1919 and already had two or three children by the time they married at St Mary de Castro in Leicester.
Thomas was born in 1863 in Whitwick, the son of Walter Bates born 1834 in Heather and Martha Frearson. Martha has a son John born about 1851 possibly not by Walter, who she married in 1856.
I can find Walter on the 1841 Census, he is with his parents John Bates and Frances. I can't find him in 1851 though he appears on the 1861 census living with Martha, her son and two of their children in Swannington. Walter then disappears again although I think he died in Wigan, Lancashire in 1914.

I'm also looking for a marriage for John and Frances. I do not have a surname for Frances. John was the son of William Bates and Ruth Hill and was born about 1790 who married in 1789.

any information on any of the above would be most gratefully received.
Many thanks.
Knight, Bates, Newton, Pick,Perkins, Marshall, North, Kilby, Beckett, Prince.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Bates Family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 March 16 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Possibility here in 1881

Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire

Hello possibility?

3775/17/28
44 Hope Street Ince

Walter Bates 48 yrs Plate Layer on Railways b Asbydelazouch
Maria Gibson 49 rs  Charwoman b Wigan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 March 16 21:31 GMT (UK) »
A possible marriage for John & Frances:

23 Oct 1825 at Appleby Magna, John Bates of Heather & Frances Wyatt OTP
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 March 16 22:04 GMT (UK) »
The closest I can find in 1851 is living in Whitwick:
Walter Whatts 16 Farm Servant b Heather (transcribed on ANC as Walker Whalls)  :-\

I cant find him in 1871 either but there is this in the Leicester Chronicle 19 October 1872:

Monday October 14th before H E Smith Esq - Walter Bates labourer was ordered to find sureties, himself in £10 and two sureties in £5 each, for his good behaviour towards his wife, Martha Bates, for three calendar months.

Added: Just checked my register of prisoners CD and it adds that he had two previous convictions.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 March 16 22:53 GMT (UK) »
1901 that Walter is still with Maria in Ince - they state they are married, botrh aged 66. he's born Leather, Lancs and she in Newburgh

RG13, 3563, 154, 9

Offline Tuggybear

• RootsChat Member
  • The future is all about the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies folks, I will check out the census returns mentioned but as he definitely appears to have died in Wigan, Lancs then we may well be on the right track.

Jomot, that is very interesting, his brother Israel was in the army and was reported as being of bad character and I can find Martha on future census returns so maybe Walter had a similar character to Israel and eventually Martha gave up on him. In 1871 she can be found living in Duck Paddle, Heather, which I think may be a row of farm-worker's cottages. Several of the other Bates brothers are also living there. My Great Grandfather, Thomas was born in Whitwick about 1864 so they obviously lived there at some stage between 1861 their daughter Ann (possibly Frances Ann) was born and  and 1871 when Martha is living in Heather with the children.

I think Thomas went on to marry Mary Ann and there was a daughter, Annie although she may have been born before the marriage in about 1882. Mary Ann died before 1919 I think. By this time Thomas was living with my grandmother, Annie Elizabeth Becket nee Prince, Thomas served in the Great War where he suffered shrapnel wounds to his leg. He suffered increasingly great pain as gangrene set in and died in 1937 from this condition I think. (going on what my mum told me about her childhood.)
Knight, Bates, Newton, Pick,Perkins, Marshall, North, Kilby, Beckett, Prince.